Storing a snapper riding mower

Good day all:

My mother in law has a riding snapper mower and being it has the rear bars to stand it upright to ease in the changing of the blade she thinks she can store it upright for long periods of time, well now it has a massive puddle of oil under it when sitting on all four wheels, so what I am looking for is the recommended manufactures procedure for storing over long periods.

Reply to
wildwillie69

Would you stand your car on end? The oil can run to places it does not belong and leak, as you've seen. just keep in on the wheels.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

So what did snapper say, tip a motor to far for a long time and you could have partialy filled the cylinder with enough oil to cause hydrolock or break a piston or ring on startup, I did. The air filter could be ruined, is the battery 100% sealed. How does one easily lift a rider, 90 degrees, she must be strong.

Reply to
ransley

From my Snapper manual

Storage: The mower may be set on end for servicing or storage within the following limitations:

  1. For electric starter units, remove battery if the mower is to be stood on end for more than two hours.
  2. For winter storage always drain oil and gasoline. Refer to engine manual for proper procedure to follow.
  3. After storing on end the following procedure is required before starting machine. With ignition switch turned off pull engine over slowly. If excessive resistance is felt or engine refuses to rotate remove spark plug and spin engine to clear cylinder of oil. Clean and replace spark plug.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Thanks this is most helpful

Reply to
wildwillie69 via HomeKB.com

Thanks for the reply, some good points made