Snapper hi-vac mower

Taking a long shot here, seeing if anyone might have had one of these. I have an old Snapper hi-vac walk behind mower, the 21" side discharge one, and need to replace the rear wheels.

The rear wheels, if you remember, were attached to an axle, and I need to remove the wheels from the axle. Of course, after loosening the nut, they don't just pull off.

I called the local shop, and the counter gal said they get stuck on there, and agreed with my idea of using a puller against the axle to get the wheel off.

Has anyone done this, and able to verify this as being the correct procedure?

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I haven't. But before you do that, go to the auto parts store and get some spray stuff used to loosen frozen nuts/bolts. The counter guy can advise you on the best product.

Slather that stuff on the axle. Wait. Remove wheel.

I'm amazed at how well these "frozen bolt remover" compounds are.

Reply to
HeyBub

Spray it with Kroil (best) or any handy penetrant (not WD 40). If you are going to replace the wheels anyway, and the penetrant doesn't work out, cut them off with your favorite demo tool and use a bearing puller on what's left of the bearing assembly. Clean the axle shaft, measure carefully and buy new wheels to fit. Harbor Freight has some good ones.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Mis-read that the first time so I will say +1 on the liquid wrench or similar spray compound.spay well and let it sit overnight.

Yes I can see a puller working on small wheel like that but for the life of me I could not figure out how to do it on the rider version.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt