Refurbishing a steering wheel.

I picked up an old wood rimmed steering wheel at a boot sale today. It would be nice to refurbish it and hang it on the wall - if I can't fit it to anything.

It looks like it's been left outside or whatever - the wood is nearly black. But not split or other wise damaged.

What would be the best way to return it to its former glory? How to get back the original wood colour? And what sort of varnish would be best?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sure you are not supposed to call it a steering wheel.

Reply to
Graham.

Experiment on small spots first.

For this type of weathering damage, an oxalic acid bleach is usually a good start. Try Barkeeper's Friend, or even a decking cleaner.

To finish it, use shellac. Easy to apply and almost impossible to get wrong.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Surely that depends on what it steered (car, boat ??)?

Reply to
Tinkerer

What else would you call it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bit like your reply, then?

If you read my post I've stated the wood appears to be in good condition. It may just be dirt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

try caustic dipping and re- varnishing. As in stripped pine etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher