Broken wheel on suitcase

During our recent holiday a dash along a railway platform resulted in a jammed suitcase wheel having a massive flat spot on it (SWMBO pulling the case so the problem was not diagnosed immediately, only that the case was 'hard to pull')

Case was bought from M&S a few years ago but no help from there.

Anyone with any experience of this problem?

The wheel is in a unit which fits into the corner of the case. I can try to post some pics if that would help

Malcolm (long time luker who values the expertise on this group)

Reply to
Malcolm

IME you will be lucky to find a new wheel that is just right. I have built up the"flat "with layers of areldite in the past. Trouble is, it doesn't stick well to some plastics.

Reply to
harryagain

If it was possible to take the wheel off its axis you might find someone with a lathe who would turn one for you from a material of your choice.

Or perhaps if you found some plastic pipe with the same internal diameter as the external diameter of your wheel you might be able to fashion two 'tyres' to slip over both wheels.

I once saw a ride-on mower with a wooden wheel on it

Reply to
fred

Pics might help. I have an Antler soft (as in collapsible) bag with two wheels at one end. They look remarkably like roller blade wheels (rubbery) and it looks like a simple job with an allen key to remove them from their units. It doesn't get enough use to have worn them out yet, and it's anyone's guess whether the bag would be in a fit state to take replacements by that stage anyway.

Reply to
Part Timer

I've replaced several in the past. They're normally just standard rollerblade wheels. Take some measurements and look on the likes of eBay. There are websites set up for cabin crew that sell them but usually at seemingly inflated prices for the same thing.

Access to the wheel carrier fastenings is usually behind the interior fabric but this usually zips out so no need to cut anything. A couple of carriers have been held on with rivets so I've ended up having to drill them out and replacing with bolts.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

lade wheels. Take some measurements and look on the likes of eBay. There ar e websites set up for cabin crew that sell them but usually at seemingly in flated prices for the same thing.

ric but this usually zips out so no need to cut anything. A couple of carri ers have been held on with rivets so I've ended up having to drill them out and replacing with bolts.

after stashing the 3 kgs of "vim" in the lining ;>) wink wink....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Mathew Newton wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I have been officially *banned* from repairing suitcases here.

A couple of years ago we had a wheelie case in which one of the metal struts around the outside (ie, inside the case but behind the lining) had been snapped by evidently being stoved in by a baggage handler. I repaired this pretty effectively and simply (I thought) by 'splinting' the broken struct with a length of wood, holding it in place with cable ties. Solid as a rock, apparently.

Disaster struck however - the very next time we flew, we happened to pack a

3-litre red winebox in this case. When it appeared on the baggage carousel at our destination, the case was obviously sitting in a puddle. Oh Christ, I thought... turns out that one of my cable ties had managed to rotate around the strut such that the cut end of the cable tie was poking into the case, and had somehow punctured the winebox. Most of the contents of the case were duly trashed (never mind the embarrassment in the baggage reclaim hall). Not a great start to the holiday.

Anyway; just about got away with that one; however this year I repaired another wheelie case in which the handle assembly was pulling away from the body of the case. This one was borrowed by No. 1 Daughter this summer, who went off with friends. She maintains that when her luggage appeared on the carousel it was completely demolished and the only thing preventing her stuff from being strewn around the airport was the flimsy zipped lining of the case. She therefore 'had' to throw it out and buy a new one to return home with (guess who got to pay for that), so I never got to inspect the evidence; however despite the fact that I strongly suspect filial foul play (I reckon she didn't lock the handle away or something) and that it wasn't my repair which failed, needless to say my reputation as Family Suitcase Repairer is now shattered. :(

Reply to
Lobster