Wing mirrors on cars

Why do we still have wing mirrors on cars? They should be little screens powered by cameras, to reduce drag. Sports cars even do away with door handles, but still have mirrors stuck out!
--
When you want a man to play with you, wear a full-length black nightgown with buttons all over it.
Sure it's uncomfortable, but it makes you look just like his remote control.

I haven't had wing mirrors on a car since the late 70's.
On 31/12/17 20:01, Tony Dragon wrote:

I havent used mirrors except wing mirrors since the late 1970s
--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Shaving mirror?
--
Peter is listening to Psy - Gangnam style

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 20:05:39 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

"wing mirrors"are Limey invention - virtually never seen or used "on this side of the pond"

I presume you mean "wing mirrors" in the precise sense of the phrase. So did US/Canadian cars have door mirrors (viewed through the door window) as opposed to wing mirrors (viewed through the windshield) much earlier than we did in the UK and Europe? Or are you saying that US/Can cars don't have any form of mirror that shows the side of the car (for overtaking and for parking close to a kerb) and only have the central mirror that looks through the rear window?

No, they have door mirrors same as us.
Well no, now I think of it they are worse in this sense: the driver's side door mirror is not convex but flat (and thus provides a shitty field of view) while the passenger's side one has to have "things may look further way than they really are" etched on the glass.
Hopeless.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't

Why would you etch that on the passenger side, when it's the driver who needs to be told?
--
How do they seperate the men from the boys in the Navy?
With a crowbar.

It's the driver that uses the mirror when they're trying to park. Or do you park by the sound of tinkling glass and rending metal?
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 00:38:23 -0700, rbowman wrote:

Those bleeping parking sensors are a Godsend.
On 1/1/2018 5:42 AM, mechanic wrote:

Cameras. Gotta have a camera. My new car has four of them so you can see all around. Split screen shows either the front or back depending on the gear, but it also give what looks like an overhead view using all the cameras. Parking anywhere is a breeze like that.

Or you could just learn to drive? In the UK, parking is part of the driving test. Maybe you should retake yours.
--
Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to diss a Brie? I cheddar the world and the feta cheese, everybody's looking for Stilton.

Parking involves using whatever aids your car provides. You may have to open the door and look backwards if you have no central rear-view mirror (van/HGV). You may use your door mirrors and/or your rear-view mirror if they give a good enough perception of depth to know when to stop reversing into the wall/car behind you. You may use your cameras and parking sensors if you have them.
A wise driver uses all the technology (mirrors, cameras, parking sensors) available to him, maybe using different things in different situations.
I used to turn and look over my shoulder when reversing because it gives a good all-round view without having to look alternately at right, central and left mirrors. Now I tend to use my mirrors because I can judge *lateral* position (car relative to hedge, kerb, white bay-marking line) better than by looking over my shoulder: use central mirror to line up equally between cars/lines and then use one door mirror to check that I maintain the spacing between my rear wheel and one of the lines.
It's a shame that none of the cars that I have driven have had cameras in the door mirrors and a split-screen view from both, which is easier to monitor than looking alternately into left and right mirrors, with the delay while the eyes/brain context-shifts between one and the other.

In a car there's no need for aids at all. You can turn your head and have your full field of vision through all the windows.

I would in a van without rear windows, but not a car, it's just not necessary.

Rubbish. Turning your head means you can see everything.

No delay if you just look behind you, the way you're moving.
--
We cannot see the future.
We cannot change the past.

Hey NY it's spelled curbs in the USA.
Newer cars have a setting on them the allows the outside mirrors to tilt downward to see the curb. In fact my cars have automatic parking ability. It does not account for the idiot Corvette driver that pulls 8 inches from your bumper with the turn signal & back up lights on. The sensors screamed and brakes applied automatically...
--
Tekkie

Apologies. I'd used both alternative spellings in some of my other posts, but I forgot in this one!

Yes, that feature is very useful on cars which have it. On my old Peugeot I need to do it manually with the 4-way joystick, but my wife's 2015 Honda CR-V has it - but only for the passenger side. It only works if the left-off-right slider switch is in the left (passenger for RHD) position. Strange that if you put the slider in the RHS position (which allows the driver's mirror rather than the passenger mirror to be adjusted by the 4-way joystick), the auto-tilt-when-reverse-is-engaged doesn't work.
I know you are usually encouraged to park with your passenger side next to the kerb/curb (and in the UK it's actually illegal to park on the opposite side *at night* because cars don't have reflectors at the front for them to be seen by passing traffic) but even so it would be useful if engaging reverse tilted both mirrors down so you could see *either* rear wheel relative to its adjacent kerb/curb so you can park as close as possible without mounting the kerb/curb.
Some superhuman people claim to be able to estimate where their car is in relation to the kerb/curb, even though it is longer visible, and scorn the need to tilt the mirrors downwards, but I'm a mere mortal and I rely on this unless there's a convenient lamp-post nearby which continues the line of the kerb/curb upwards to a point where you can see it through the rear-side window and hence judge how close you are to the kerb/curb.

ives

tral

ral*

ts,

ilt

eot I

da

on.

he

4-way

t to

site

em to

in

the

n this

of the

Superhuman? More like able to pass their driving test. If you can't work out where the corner of your car is you shouldn't be driving.
-- Japanese scientists have created a camera with a shutter speed so fast, they can now photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

I know how to drive and park but with the design of most cars today you see no part of your car out the rear window. Rear cameras are mandatory on 2018 models.

I didn't know that. Good idea. Modern cars have such high window sills that you often cannot see the front or rear wings of the car unless you lift out of the seat till you head touches the ceiling - and maybe not even then. So you need mirrors.
When I am parking close to a kerb (eg when parallel parking) I cannot see the kerb on either side as I get closer, so the door mirrors, pointing downwards are the only way to see where my rear tyre is in relation to kerb, since I need to get as close as possible to avoid sticking out into the road any further than you can. I find I can judge the distance from the car behind fairly well via the rear-view and maybe door mirror, but judging sideways distance from something that is no longer visible is virtually impossible.
When I first changed my old Pug 306 (which had high enough wings to be able to judge where the front corners were) for a Pug 308 (which has droopy wings to make it more streamlined and pedestrian friendly), I was concerned about parallel parking it because of not being able to see my front corner relative to the back corner of the car I was parking behind - so much so that when I was test-driving it, I made a point of finding somewhere to practice parallel parking. It was scary at first but I now seem to have developed a sixth sense for estimating where this extremity of my car is - but I find I can't do the same with judging when my tyre is a couple of inches away from the kerb so I always need the mirror for that.

ROFL, I once reversed straight into a Ford Ka because they're pathetically small. It was actually below my rear window. When he said "You reversed into me!" I said "I didn't see you down there, buy a real car".

Surely you know the width of the pavement/sidewalk and can see the other side of it. Oh my god how useless are drivers nowadays?

Please retake your test, you're a danger to other road users.
--
Having swallowed the most amount of semen ever officially recorded Michelle Monaghan had 1.7 pints (0.96 liter) of semen pumped out of her stomach in Los Angeles in July 1991.