Wing mirrors on cars

Why do we still have wing mirrors on cars? They should be little screens powered by cameras, to reduce drag. Sports cars even do away with door handles, but still have mirrors stuck out!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I haven't had wing mirrors on a car since the late 70's.

Reply to
Tony Dragon

I havent used mirrors except wing mirrors since the late 1970s

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shaving mirror?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"wing mirrors"are Limey invention - virtually never seen or used "on this side of the pond"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I presume you mean "wing mirrors" in the precise sense of the phrase. So did US/Canadian cars have door mirrors (viewed through the door window) as opposed to wing mirrors (viewed through the windshield) much earlier than we did in the UK and Europe? Or are you saying that US/Can cars don't have any form of mirror that shows the side of the car (for overtaking and for parking close to a kerb) and only have the central mirror that looks through the rear window?

Reply to
NY

No, they have door mirrors same as us.

Well no, now I think of it they are worse in this sense: the driver's side door mirror is not convex but flat (and thus provides a shitty field of view) while the passenger's side one has to have "things may look further way than they really are" etched on the glass.

Hopeless.

Reply to
Tim Streater

North American cars have door mounted mirrors,and have had since at least the twenties - except for a few that had mirrors mounted on the side mounted spare tires. Passenger side mirrors used to be an option

- but have been standard equipment for several decades now - and virtuallly all NEW cars also have reverse vision cameras - and some even "full surround view" cameras.

It uis also very common for the side view mirrors to be remote controlled, allowing the driver to adjust them "on the fly" for traffic monitoring, or precision backing, at the touch of a button.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Why would you etch that on the passenger side, when it's the driver who needs to be told?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Common? Every car has motorised mirrors.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm in the UK, with a UK car.

I have driver and passenger side mirrors, and a reverse vision camera. Also a low level forward vision mirror with a wide vision lens for emerging from narrow turnings.

(and a high level forward vision camera for automatic lane keeping, driver fatigue detection, automatic headlamp dipping and automatic speed limiting based on speed limit sign recognition)

Of course. I have those on my UK car, and a lot of people do.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why not, "Things seen in the mirror are really behind you"?

Reply to
Max Demian

I've turned most of that off, as it was always beeping irritatingly. And it never knew properly when to undip the headlights.

Yes, that's pretty standard these days. Must be 20 years since I've had a car without that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well quite.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mine must work better than yours! I drive a lot of country roads and it works well.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh could be. Mine's a 2017 Toyota Auris. It doesn't do the auto speed limiting but does detect speed limit signs and the SatNav shows the current limit anyway.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We're not that stupid yet, but it'll come.

-- =

If you own a =A33,000 machine gun and a =A35,000 rocket launcher, but yo= u can't afford shoes, you may be a Muslim.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Neither do most drivers.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why would you want to obey a little sign on the side of the road? The only time to obey the speed limit is if there's a pig ahead. Does it detect pigs?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's the driver that uses the mirror when they're trying to park. Or do you park by the sound of tinkling glass and rending metal?

Reply to
rbowman