Wing mirrors

Are car makers consciously being more clever about wing mirrors? Friday night I biffed the passenger side one on the edge of a wheelie bin, making a big noise, and when we got home I looked at the result and thought that it was all smashed to bits.
However, next day, in daylight and when I wasn't so tired, I looked again and realised that nothing was actually broken, except that the main cover and the winker lens cover were missing (and so stuff was just flopping down, making it look bad in the half-light).
I walked back to the impact point (other side of village), and found the two covers, reassembled it and bob's yer uncle. I was surprised that the plastic bits, and the mirror, were unbroken.
Presumably the energy of impact is designed to make it fall apart, rather than smash the plastic. The mirror seems to be attached with some non-setting glue, so it is well attached but can come off fairly easily.
On 23/06/2019 22:15, Tim Streater wrote:

If you were driving forward the mirror would have also folded back to absorb some of the impact.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 23/06/2019 23:00, alan_m wrote:

Also the wheelie bin, being plastic, might bend to absorb the impact and also move.
--
Michael Chare

On 23/06/2019 22:15, Tim Streater wrote:

While back a youth came past my old van very fast on a tractor and his trailer wrecked my wing mirror. I chased him and after a bit of a barney his dad gave me £60 off a big roll and said, "Now fuck off." I did so, and got a new mirror from a commercial vehicle spares place for £20. The arm was OK. The mirror was a bit bigger than the original but it looked OK.
Bill

they don't do wing mirrors any more unless you drive a nip import .......
On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:22:55 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

<snip>

1) He's old and not 'with it' (he wants England back like it was in the Victorian times etc).
2) He didn't stop at the scene of the accident.
3) He hasn't said if there was any damage to the bin (that he would be responsible for).
4) Might be time for him to have someone walk in front of his car, waving a red flag (see 1 above). ;-)
5) He might mark such posts at OT in the future.
6) Maybe he thought this was Twatter, seeing how much time he must spend on it from the stuff from it he cross posts here. ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On 24/06/2019 10:52, T i m wrote:

I don't get a kick at all from constructing long-winded insults. Is there something wrong with me?
Bill

Welcome to the polite old farts club.

--
Tim Lamb

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:00:39 +0100, Bill Wright

Understandably (that you don't get the bigger picture).

I thought that sorta went without saying. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 24/06/2019 12:00, Bill Wright wrote:

No. Your short winded insults are good enough.
Louise still thinks that it's funny that you asked her if I was her Dad when we picked up the printer from yours.
--
Adam

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 22:15:53 +0100, Tim Streater

A bloke rang my bell one evening to tell me that a lorry had smashed my wing mirror (Seat Ibiza), and gave me the debris. In the morning I found that it was just the plastic shell, not holding anything, and I was able to click it back as it was undamaged.
--
Dave W

The Fiesta ones are about ?40.00 each! After my wife's 4th. confirmation that her car is wider than she thinks, I used hot melt glue to reassemble the bits. Not pretty but it does act as a reminder:-)
--
Tim Lamb

The only time I've had a wing mirror smashed was on a 1993 Golf as a result of a road-rage attack: a guy stopped in the middle of the road on a roundabout under the M4 near Slough, and leapt out of his car brandishing what looked like an iron bar. I steered round him, but he lunged at the car and I caught him (or the bar) a glancing blow. I drove off (*), aiming to put as much distance between him and me as possible. However he caught up with me at the next set of lights in Windsor and smashed my wing mirror with the bar.
I remember thinking that when the lights changed, I was going to set off and lose him because he'd have to get back into the car, but I was aware that he was tugging at the door handle and I didn't want to take his hand with me (lots of paperwork!) so I pointed at the lights to divert his attention and then as soon as he turned and let go, I went.
They never got the guy. He was a smartly-dressed man in a business suit, not the stereotypical over-testosteroned young lad. White-faced with rage - which is a much worse sign than being red and blustering but usually less furious. Goodness knows what I'd done to offend him, or whether it was mistaken identity. I was glad of central locking to prevent him getting in, even though he tugged and yanked at the door handle and called me "an F-ing nutter".
Nowadays the initial leaping from the car with an iron bar would have been caught on a dashcam and I might have been able to remove the camera from its windscreen mount and point it at him as he was lashing out at my car.
The plastic housing of the mirror shattered into bits and the mirror itself broke into several pieces that remained loosely attached together by heating wires on the reverse side. A replacement was a fairly small bill, fortunately.
(*) When I reported the incident to the police, as a road-rage attack on me and possible injury to another motorist, the police said that in the circumstances, where I feared for my safety, I was right not to stop to see if he was all right, and I'd now reported the incident so I wasn't guilty of "failing to stop", under the "as soon as practicable afterwards" clause.
On 24/06/2019 15:11, NY wrote:

I was somewhat luckier. A guy stopped in a really bad position to let his wife out. Just as I was squeezing past, she stepped into the road while looking the other way. I hit the brakes and the horn, she turned and swore at me and then carried on crossing. I moved on to the lights ahead, while he jumped out of his car, came running after me and attempted to open the door. As the lights went green, I turned right, pulled up to the police van that was sat at the red light and asked them if they'd seen it :)
Not only had they seen it, but they were somewhat hot on it, as it was only two days after the road-rage murder on the M25 by Kenneth Noye was all over the news.
SteveW

I nearly hit a cat this afternoon which had ignored all basic training and ran across the road without looking out for passing traffic.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 24/06/2019 21:57, charles wrote:

I saw two squirrels having sex halfway up a tree three days ago.,
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,

you were up a tree?
--
Adrian C

On 25/06/2019 15:10, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

halfway up!
--
Adam

On 25/06/2019 19:45, ARW wrote:

Casperz can't understand punctuation If I had meant :
I saw two squirrels having sex, halfway up a tree, three days ago.
I would gave written it
--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Congratualtions on a post with no schoolboy howlers. Just shows you can do it when you want. Keep it up.
--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?