Car wing mirror fallen out

Fortunately there was warning as it's been clear for a week or so that it was coming loose.

It's a glued in type and the black backing paint on the back of the glass has just peeled off and remained attached to the carrier.

I've found a couple of threads on similar failures but in their case the black paint had remained in place and strong double sided tape had effected the repair.

I'm quite happy with the idea of the tape (double sided vinyl floor tape) but I'm not sure whether it will stick effectively to the glass on its own.

Thanks for any help Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I used "no more nails" of similar and had no problems.

Reply to
ARW

Use "VHB" (Very High Bond) tape. Available on eBay. Make sure you get it in the right place, because you're never going to get it off again ...

Reply to
Huge

Unless the silvering is very well protected, avoid anything with an acid cure, such as silicone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The foam sticky pads are usually good too. I think you might have difficulty getting a good enough contact with floor tape.

Reply to
newshound

Well sounds like Ford adjustable mirror. I've seen loads of these fall out and been fixed with double sided tape. It needs to be dry and clean when applied though. Luckily not being a driver myself I do find this sort of thing mildly amusing.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

A few blobs of silicone does the trick. I used this method on one of my mirrors (electric type) about 4 years ago and it's still firmly in place.

Reply to
Bod

It's not that amusing when the glass starts to fall off at 70 mph on the motorway.

I was on my way to an air show on a Sunday, and the likelihood of finding materials to fix it there were slim. Fortunately a bookseller I know well lent me a roll of double-sided tape when I told him the tale.

On the way back home the gearbox started making funny noises, and I lost gears 1/2/5/6, but that wasn't quite so easy to fix.

Reply to
Ramsman