Connecting garden hose to Plastic Container

Could someone enlighten a non technical person about what fittings i can get, that will enable a plastic garden water tank to be drained by connecting it (securely and non-leaking) to a 20 metre length of standard (1/2") garden hose please.
john west wrote:

Either a 3/4" or 1" tank connector, together with a hozelock type connector
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)> <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
If you want a tap to turn off the hose, then this might suit better
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Be aware you'll need access to the inside of the tank to screw on the back-nut.
Andy Burns wrote:

Or <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
MIne had a plain tap fitted and I got a hose tap connector that fits well enough not to leak.
Paul.
Is it the sort of tank with a tap on the bottom? I found these far to soft to attach anything with no leaks. It ended up me using an old kitchen tp ap fitted and then you can use normal hose fittings. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Burns" < snipped-for-privacy@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote in message

The simplest way would be to siphon it. Assuming the bottom is off the ground anyway. And the relative levels in the garden.
Get a short piece of hose with connectors all ready to attach it to the 20 metre hose. Fill the short piece of hose with water, one person holding it the other filling it from a can.When it runs out the bottom put your finger there and keep it tight. (which is why its harder to do this from a tap with the pressure)
Put the other end in the tank but near the top to start with. And position the end with your finger over it lower down on the outside. Water will run out of the tank down the hose which you can then connect to the longer hose.
The end of the longer hose would however need to be lower than the end in the tank at all times. But that could possibly be got round by filling an intermediate container.
michael adams
On Sunday, 21 June 2015 15:23:31 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

My, you do make a simple job difficult.
Connect a hose to a tap, turn on. Put other end of hose in water barrel. When water comes out of hose, make sure it's immersed in barrel water and turn off tap. Disconnect hose from tap, the syphon is established.

at which point if the tap is higher than the end of the hose in the barrel the water will flow downwards and create an air bubble in the hose.

Not with an air bubble in the hose it isn't.
michael adams

Easily fixed by having a hozelock connector between two bits of hose between the tap and the tank and disconnecting that when you want to start draining the tank.

Trivially easy to avoid.

It is, after you've googled it, eh ?
Anyway as it happens after reading the swimming pool draining page, it wasn't obvious how it would work, but now it is.
So have a biscuit.
michael adams

I didn’t google anything. It happens to be the way I do it myself and I didn’t google that when I first started doing it either, I happened to have that config because the hose wasn’t long enough and when I need to drain the tank, it was the obvious way to get the siphon going.

Don’t eat biscuits.

Okey dokey.

Well I'm plumb out of kangaroo burgers at the minute, so you'll just have to go without, I'm afraid.
michael adams

Don’t eat those either.

Nope, I just make my own.

Open the top, stick in hosepipe until it hits the bottom, pull up a little bit, place end of hosepipe lower than the base of your tank, shove hosepipe in your mouth and suck. Spit out shit and drain. Dead easy.

No, no, no. Thread length of wire through hose Use wire to pull string through hose. Tie Tampax to string. Insert Tampax end of hose in barrel Pull string, which pulls Tampax through hose, causing vacuum, liquid follows.
Works with petrol. Allegedly.
--
Graeme

On 21/06/2015 20:21, News wrote:

:-)
writes

I stopped using Tampax last week. What happens now?

Go out on the pull? Young babe?
--
Graeme

On 21/06/2015 20:21, News wrote:

Yeah, but ruins your tampax
--
Adventure before dementia.
http://www.secondchance-rehoming.co.uk/

Easier still... place all of the pipe into the tank hanging on to both ends below the surface. When the bubbles stop, stopper the pipe ends with your thumbs. Draw out the discharge end and remove your thumbs when it is lower than that inside.....
--
Tim Lamb

On 21/06/2015 14:52, john west wrote:

wots up wiv a bucket?