storing paint in plastic garden container

Is it ok to store emulsion paint outdoors - in one of those plastic garden containers? If the paint freezes, is it useless afterwards? I guess oil based paints will be ok (?). I'm trying to free-up some space in the garage! Seems an impossible task.

Reply to
dave

In message , dave writes

All my paints are either in the garage or a brick shed (part of the garage). Some of them are years old, and the emulsions must have been frozen at some time (although not deeply). After maybe a bit of a stir (even for those that say "DO NOT STIR"), I've never found that they don't work.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Will you ever use it again though? Might be worth offering it to a charity that does up old homes and if they don't want it dump it on the recyclers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Freezing "breaks" the emulsion in water based paints, so you have a pot full of the original ingredients, but they're not joined together and won't form a proper coating

Reply to
stuart noble

These new water based paints don't like being frozen. Neither does PVA glue.

Reply to
harryagain

Car bodyshops (which very largely use water-based paints these days) have to put considerable effort into paint storage to ensure that the paint doesn't get exposed to too low a temperature. This includes having to purchase and run special heating equipment.

Reply to
polygonum