edible container garden?

As the season comes to a close, I am planning for a container garden for my deck next year. But I would like it to be edible instead of just for show and color.

Anyone have any recommendations to what veggies/fruits make a good container garden?

Thanks,

-D

Reply to
D. Phillips

Carrots, radishes, squash and cucumbers (if you have somewhere to train them to vine). A lot more also, if you have the room for them to mature. I did a tomato this year, and it did OK. I didn't get as many off of the plant as I did in the garden, but I got a few.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Pretty much anything you like eating. tomatoes, peppers, herbs, cucs etc. I even did sweet potatoes this year in a barrel! (they came out great but very long) Let your imagination run wild D. I want to do hot peppers next year in a container

Reply to
Lynn

Decorative squash aren't really edible, but they do count as veggies and they do get hard enough that you could plant stuff in the bigger ones. The closest I could get to containers that are really edible would be opening and drying out some big pumpkins. Kiln or heat lamp dry to get them to harden before they go completely ripe and soft. Should be possible with watermelon rinds, too. ;^)

I like perennial herbs and bushes in containers, so my vote is for some type of berry bushes. Blueberries, bilberries, cranberries, lingonberries or similar. Or dwarf fruit trees. I've planted dwarf fruit trees in the ground and ended up dgging them back up the next year, putting them in containers, and replacing them with non-dwarfs in the ground. Dwarf lemon tree, very pretty and the lemon's flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is pah-possible to eat ...

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

Strawberries, herbs, lettuce all look nice as well as being edible.

Less attractive but delicious, tomatoes, leeks, scallions, garlic, cucumbers, peas, bush beans, zucchini.

marcella

Reply to
Marcella Peek

Bush beans of any variety are quite easy to grow in a 8-10" pot. I plant 5 seeds per, in soil enriched with compost and fed with Osmocote. Very heavy yields, though you need to water at least once a day in high heat.

Patio tomatoes are fine in small containers, as are radishes and any and all herbs and lettuces.

In larger containers, I grow full sized tomatoes, cukes and Brussels sprouts.

There is no need to give up color, either, think of the various basils and lettuces and all the colors they offer. Cukes have pretty yellow flowers and the tomatoes offer a riot of color, from pale yellow to reds and oranges. Sage comes variegated, as do other herbs.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar