Garden Office Planning Permission

I am hoping to build a garden office. The only problem is that planning permission is required where the office "would be nearer to any highway than the nearest part of the original house (unless there is 20m between the building and the highway)" ie where the office is positioned between the house and the highway and the office is within 20m of the highway.
The problem is that there is a footpath that runs behind the house. The footpath is less than 20m from the proposed site for the office and so it seems to me that I would need planning permission.
Am I right?

What's a "garden office"?
--
Frank Erskine

On 2007-05-23 00:37:26 +0100, Frank Erskine

An office in the garden - i.e. a small, normally detached building usually used as a home office.
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com declared for all the world to hear...

It's an office, right? Which is in your garden, right? Hence the name "office garden".
--
Regards
Jon

Thanks, that clears it up!
Jon wrote:

Or even 'garden office'
Surely an office garden is a garden in, or used for, an office.
Whereas a garden office is an office used in, or by, a garden..

A site office is where you plan the work and take tea breaks. So a garden office must be where you plan the garden and take tea breaks.
I'm just about to build one for my daughter to use... I am thinking about gluing polystyrene sheet between two sheets of WBP to make the walls and floor (DIY SIPS). Anyone done similar? Which glue is best?
dennis@home wrote:

PVA works, but water based contact is better.
On Wed, 23 May 2007 14:46:44 +0100, "dennis@home"
|!
|!> |!> Surely an office garden is a garden in, or used for, an office. |!> |!> Whereas a garden office is an office used in, or by, a garden.. |! |!A site office is where you plan the work and take tea breaks. |!So a garden office must be where you plan the garden and take tea breaks.
That is a Potting Shed which in my area does not need Planning Permission.
--
Dave Fawthrop <sf hyphenologist.co.uk> 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
I am hoping to build a garden office. The only problem is that planning permission is required where the office "would be nearer to any highway than the nearest part of the original house (unless there is 20m between the building and the highway)" ie where the office is positioned between the house and the highway and the office is within 20m of the highway.
The problem is that there is a footpath that runs behind the house. The footpath is less than 20m from the proposed site for the office and so it seems to me that I would need planning permission.
Am I right?
Griffo wrote:

Are you in a hurry? If not wait for the new "easy" planning permission laws.
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:22:33 +0100 Broadback wrote :

They are likely to affect extensions, but I would be less sure about detached buildings. In this context is a public footpath a highway?

A footpath doesn't constitute a highway in at least one bit of planning legislation and that's the one to do with how high a fence can be adjacent to a highway without planning permission, 1m I think where elsewhere it's 1.8m.
AJH
Griffo wrote:

IANAL but I don't think a "footpath" counts as a "highway".
Owain

I too ANAL but if the public can use it 24hrs/day, it's a highway. I had a rear footpath through a churchyard only classed as not a highway as the churchyard gates were locked at night.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Sounds more like it wasn't actually a public right of way anyway, otherwise you would be done for obstructing it by locking the gates.
MBQ

It's sound like it's at the back of the house, the average footpath user probably doesn't have a clue what it is (it's a gerden shed to them) or what the planning rules are, just build it.
MBQ
On 23 May 2007 07:45:43 -0700 someone who may be

Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:41:17 +0100, David Hansen
|!Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using |!satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.
Which is totally false. Keep Up at the back there.
--
Dave Fawthrop <sf hyphenologist.co.uk> 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:46:11 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop

Time will tell whether it is totally false or not.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh