Planning Vegetable garden

We have decided on a 14 by 14 plot for the garden (it is about all we could fit). Since this is not very large ar there plants that can be coplanted? for example what could I interplant with my tomatos. The kids are thinking corn carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, lettuce. any other suggestions that real taste good out of the graden?

Reply to
Sportinus

Check out "Square Foot Gardening" and think about succession planting. Go to your garden center or other place that carries seeds and look through them and see what is there that your family likes to eat. Then carefully read the instructions. Make careful note of the size of the plants and how long it takes to maturity.

Reply to
The Cook

Edameme (edible soybeans). Berries (straw-, red rasp-,...). Peas.

-f

Reply to
Frank Miles

Where do you live? What state.

In my previous home we had a 15 by 15, and in that I manage a half dozen tomato plants, four green pepper plants, two rows of green beans (closely spaced), a row of radishes, row of onions, and on the out side row I pounded in a couple of T-Stakes, strung up a piece of plastic construction mesh (orange) and trained about three cucumber plants to grow up it. Our stuff was a little bit cramped in there but it worked out fine. We made a lot of salsa.

6 tomato plants will produce a LOT of tomatos. We ended up freezing a bunch, drying a bunch, and EATING a bunch. We had two Early Girls, two Big Boys, and two Celebrities. My wife also planted a couple cherry tomato plants in a flower pot, that worked great.

I live in central Indiana...it doesn't pay to grow sweet corn in the backyard because every farmer around here has it growing anyway, and I can buy it for $3 a dozen ears just about anytime I want it. We bought two pickup truck loads of late sweet corn last summer for $20 - blanched it, buttered it, cut it off the cob and froze it. We're still eating sweet corn.

Reply to
Brian

I live in a western burb of Chicago. That was more than I thought I could plant in that area. Congrats on your colts beating my bears : ( The kids really want to try some corn, I was going to try to get 6-8 ears. The tomatos are for me. How did you get into the middle of the plot with out stompng on the other plants? was the walk ways dirt or stepping stone? Thanks for the response.

Reply to
Sportinus

I agree that 6 tomatoes is a lot of tomatoes. Maybe 2 or 3 is plenty for one family. If you like peppers one bell pepper plant is good, one jalapeno will suffice. If your adventurous, one habanero pepper. One eggplant will produce well. One or two okra will give you more okra than you can eat. I suggest canning baby okra. Great in the winter. Onions are cheap. Buy them don't grow them. I suggest allocating an area for herbs. Chives, parsley, fennel, dill, oregano, basil ( several varieties), different varieties of mint. You can cook with these herbs and they are easily maintained. Don't forget perennials like rosemary, and a bay tree is easy to grow. Rosemary doesn't need good soil, but doesn't like wet feet or being in drought conditions..somewhere in between. The square foot gardening method is a good choice. Buy the book. Google it. It will be worth the money. But most importantly, in my opinion, is to garden by the organic method. Feed your soil, not your plants. You will be rewarded with abundant harvests and no chemicals to ingest. Good luck and above all have fun. Don't take it too seriously. Learn from your failures and appreciate your successes. I encourage you to visit this website

I am not affiliated with it other than being a member for over 15 years. LOTS of valuable info there.

Reply to
Vern