How can I remove paint from plastic?

I have a laptop which has silver paint on the edges. It looked really nice when it was new, but now the paint is being worn off. I want to just remove the paint that is left over.

I tried Acetone, but it seems to dissolve the plastic along with the paint. Is there something else that would work?

Reply to
Paul Berezansky

Try a weaker paint remover like Citri-strip. Or try sanding off the rest of the paint.

Reply to
scott21230

try a little bit of lye based oven cleaner, but spray it onto a plate and apply it with a brush, nasty stuff.

Reply to
beecrofter

"Paul Berezansky" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

paint is normally removed from plastics with bead or nutshell blasting. you would have to remove the case from the laptop for this.

Avoid using acetone on plastics.

IIRC,there's a hobby stripper specifically for removing paint from plastics,Micro-Mark carries it.I can't recall the brand name.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

DO NOT sand it. Sanding will make it look like crap. If acetone damages the plastic, it is probably in hte styrene family and any of the acetones and lacquer thinners will damage it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ordinary DOT 3 grade brake fluid will remove paint without harming plastic at all, but it takes time to work. It can even take paint off styrofoam without affecting the styrofoam (many cars have a styrofoam float in their brake fluid reservior).

Sanding the plastic with #600 or finer American sandpaper can remove paint without scratching the plastic much.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Styrofoam? Are you sure it's not some other kind of foam?

*ALL* the petroleum products that I know off dissolve styrofoam. Hell, even orange oil dissolves styrofoam.
Reply to
Goedjn

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

does the sandpaper have to be American? ;-)

(seems a 600+ grit paper would clog up very fast;wet sand?)

Reply to
Jim Yanik