Wire wheel to remove paint from siding

Is it acceptable to remove latex paint from cedar siding with a wire wheel attachment for a drill?

Yes I am aware there are other methods for doing this, but I'm just curious about using a wire wheel - something like this

That's not the one I'm thinking of, but gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Reply to
Eigenvector

this

I think it would remove as much siding as it does paint.

Reply to
Eric9822

this

Check the paint for lead. If it is LBP, then definitely don't do it. You'll have a disaster on your hands that could easily contaminate your children or grandchildren.

Reply to
Pat

A wire wheel will remove paint from steel. It'll destroy wood. The wood is softer than the paint.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Sure, you can use it to remove the paint. Just keep in mind that it is also going to remove the wood underneath the paint. If you hold it in one place too long, you can actually put a hole through your siding, especially cedar. Cedar is very soft and you will end up with a VERY uneven surface. You will end up with "distressed wood" look.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Alright, well scratch that idea then.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Years ago Consumer Reports tested one and said it was pretty much worthless.

Reply to
Art

I haven't used it on siding, or on cedar, or with a drill, but I have had great success using a wire wheel, on a bench grinder, on wood.

Specifically I remember a hammer handle where the wheel took off nothing discernable except a few paint stains and the old dirty surface of the handle, but there was no visible "sawdust" below the grinder. Then I rubbed in some linseed oil. Of course hammer handles are hard.

It's much harder to control a wire wheel or a grindstone when it's on a drill. Is that why they sell angle grinders? I just bought one and haven't used it yet.

Say, for example, on metal, Would an angle grinder work with a wire wheel? Better than a drill?

Reply to
mm

Lead? In Latex paint?

And why shouldn't his children have all the opportunities he had?

Reply to
HeyBub

Lead was used until approx. 30 years ago in traditional oil-based paints, possibly never in latex/alkyd paints (new in the 1960s.)

The practical point, however, is that whenever sanding or scraping we should avoid inhaling any powdered debris, i.e. wear the right sort of nose/mouth mask.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

or

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

They'll work fine if you don't have anythin' to do for about a year. Otherwise, hire a sand blaster.

Reply to
Steve Barker

That is such bullshit. Jeeeeze... Another chicken little.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You suggest using a sand blaster to remove paint from cedar? What are you on?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

In my opinion, the best thing to do with siding paint is to use a scraper to remove only the paint which is already loose. Stripping all the paint off is usually unnecessary. If you want to, sand the rest and feather the edges a little with coarse sandpaper. Use a good primer and paint. House paint generally does not need to be smooth like automobile paint. It is intended to protect and to look good from a distance. You can put in a lot of labor for very little in improvement.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

According to Don Young :

He may be wanting to restore the original wood grain for a transparent stain. Or he may be trying to remove paint splatters.

The former is a huge job, and probably best done with a heat gun (watch you don't set the place on fire!) or good & sharp (learn how to sharpen them properly) hook scrapers, followed by a bit of sanding. The latter best done with a hook scraper, or perhaps a flat one if it's blobs.

If he's just repainting/solid stain, your suggestions are right on.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I have been stripping my 1926 house, a bit at a time using an infrared stripper. The result, after priming and painting, looks like brand new 1926 siding. No paint edges show. No new bubbles form each year where the old paint is losing adhesion. No sanding marks. It just looks immensly better than the patchwork prep described here, and I bet it lasts way longer. Yes, it's a lot of work, but my time is cheap.

The infrared stripper works best on multiple layers of paint. If you house only has a coat or two, resolts may be not as good.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

What's the difference between an infrared stripper and a heat gun?

Reply to
Doug Miller

The thing I use is a radiant heating element in a metal shield with a wood handle. I hold it over the paint for several seconds, then scrape the softened and bubbling paint.

My tool is similar to the item below - but was $2 at a yard sale.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F