OT: Best way to remove "silicone window sealant" from latex paint?

I applied some fresh silicone sealant on on my exterior window frame (which resides in a door) today, and a bit fell onto my new latex paint job. I immediately wiped it off (2 places), but it left smudges. It's black on yellow, so it shows up. I'm the only one that would ever know that it's not just some dirt, but I will remove the smudges, even if I have to repaint (repent?).

I was thinking a quick wipe with mineral spirits? Perhaps it will help that the paint is "flat". But I was reading that rubbing alcohol removes paint fast, so I got concerned and thought I better ask here. I suspect someone must have learned the best way to deal with this problem already.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

While still wet, the silicone should clean up fine with a mineral spirits wipe. Once dried, the wipe wouldn't be so effective, if at all. Simply spot paint over the smudge.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks Sonny! I'll start with some paint thinner and soap and water since I used "paint thinner" to clean up some of the old sealant with surprising success. If I have to spot paint after that, that's the way it goes.

FWIW, I double-taped around the windows, leaving about an 1/8" on each side, and used a finger in a latex glove to smoothe it out, with plenty of paper towels (how did we ever get by without those latex gloves), and I immediately removed all the tape. It came out good. Of course, I'm not quite finished with the job yet... :) I just measured it, and there is 30 feet of window perimeter, so about 60 feet of tape around the 2 windows. I only creating the smudges at the beginning when I was learning I need a paper towel handier than it was... I intend for this shared-experience to be educational. :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Try an eraser once the RTV is dry, if it works you can leave the solvents in the can. The touch up with new paint.

Reply to
Markem

OR, simply paint over it.

Reply to
Leon

Not so simple if it is standard silicone ---- Silicone 2 is paintable. Not regular silicone.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

This is true but I am finding it increasingly easy to find paintable caulks, you almost have to hunt for non paintable caulks these days.

Reply to
Leon

Turns out I was able to rub it with my finger, and it came off much like using an eraser. Much easier to deal with dry than when it was wet and "smeary". No touching up is necessary.

This was the unpaintable silicone, so I would have removed all of it before painting. I am Very careful when I buy caulk whether I've got the paintable stuff or not.

Since the silicone rubbed off, I was able to happily move on to projects/tasks #2, 3, 4 and 5. Tasks #6 and 7 can wait until tomorrow. I have found that things on a list stand a better chance of getting done.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Bill

Reply to
Bill