Blackberries in a container garden?

Has anyone been successful growing blackberries in large tubs or half barrels? If so, what varieties do best? I am zone 6.

Thanks for any ideas.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Can't help with the answer but I have exactly the same question. However, we have bought a blackberry - it just says its a bramble - doesn't give any more specific details about its type. Also, sorry, newbee question, what's zone 6?

Reply to
Steve Newport

Sorry about the zone mentions..here in the US, the entire country has been designated with a number, by, IIRC, the US Dept of Agriculture. When buying perennials, they are categorized by these zones. This way, someone will not wind up buying a tender shrub which will thrive in a mild climate, but fail to make it through a harsh winter.

Here is the map for my state.

Boron Elgar

Thanks. Interesting.

Reply to
Steve Newport

Since you got no other bites, my .02 say it is a bad idea. Brambles just require too much space. Unless you could put a large trellis behind the tub, train them, then water them diligently. Still, if you only have tubs, I'd put them to more productive use. With brambles you'd get a pound of berries out of a container that will give you ten pounds of other things.

Reply to
simy1

Sigh...that is pretty much the conclusion to which I came. Still, the plants are cheap, and I have a big barrel that I can fill with compost. What the heck...

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

how about melons? This year I am trying the Galia (green inside, cool season). And they love compost and have taproots that go all the way down the barrel.

Reply to
simy1

the last year. I suspect that most of the world has such maps available somewhere. Having zones that work across a continent is very usefull. Having them work worldwide would be even better.

I'm in zone 5b suburban Chicago. This spring I plan on starting some European billberries. Since blueberries and blackberries will grow here I figure their European kin should also. Still undecided ground or container, though. Open to suggestions and following this thread because of the similarity.

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

I would not hesitate to grow blueberries in a container, as long as it was winter protected, as they are compact & bushy, but the blackberries fruit on new canes & I do not know what will happen in a container. Still it is worth a 10 dollar experiment to find out.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar