Bathroom mirrors

Any gotchas about fixing full length bathroom mirrors you care to share?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Never look at them when you are naked.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Toughened?

Reply to
GB

Walls that aren't flat.

I assume the same goes for ceilings and floors but I've no experience of putting mirrors on them :(

Reply to
Robin

you will be embarrassed at the puniness of your todger?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He didn't say that these are flat mirrors. Presumably, you can get mirrors that flatter the size of your todger?

Reply to
GB

+1

Only tighten the fixing screws enough to hold the mirror in place and stop it moving. DAMHIKT. Perhaps put a sheet of something 'squashable' (like that thin foam sheet used for packaging delicate goods) behind the mirror before you put it up on the wall, to stop it actually moving about or rattling, but whatever you do, don't over-tighten the screws.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

But it'll also exaggerate your beer gut.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I only EVER share my bathroom mirror with my wife (honest :) )

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You mean about making sure the wall is not bowed before you tighten up the screws? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I used clear washers if the mirror had to be stood off the wall at edges and Blu Tack dot-and-dab style if there were hollows in the wall (for fear of someone leaning hard against the mirror). Hadn't thought of foam.

Reply to
Robin

A guy I know once decided to put mirror tiles on the ceiling over his bed, and he glued them up using those double side sticky pads. I'm sure you can guess what happened several months later in the middle of the night. ahem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A rented student hovel had mirror tiles, with sticky pads, over wallpaper, in the bathroom, which sagged somewhat worryingly when the room got steamed up.

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1 Put lines of silicon on the wall before fixing. Don't over tighten screws.
Reply to
harry

How does that work when you want to remove the mirror?

I chose Blu Tack with that in mind and come the day the application of a hairdryer to the mirror - and some tedious wiggling - got it off.

Reply to
Robin

Or bubble wrap, instead of foam (the type with small bubbles).

For a heavy mirror, either fix a temporary batten to the wall at the bottom, or use something like a heavy pile of books to make a platform right up against the wall. Get it level. Have someone hold the mirror firmly against the wall while you mark up the holes. Keep the platform in place at least until you have got the top two screws inserted far enough to take the weight.

Reply to
newshound

Sorry for the delay. Busy selling a house!

I am old enough to have overcome equipment size comparison concerns. Although, carrying reading glasses hung from the neck can be a re-assurance:-)

Full length is more to do with user age range than a desire to see behind my knees.

So... Toughened glass? I suspect not readily available but will enquire along with rounded edges for safety.

Internal wall so not likely to suffer hugely from condensation. U-tube tricks showed wiping shaving cream over the glass as a prevention! How does that work? Especially for an electric shaver user.

Skimmed studwork wall so flattish.

Glued fixing seems to be the trade preference. Points taken about not over-tightening screws.

Foam backing. Bit of engineered floor underlay might do.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Too heavy to lift manually.

Reply to
GB

Bollox to that. Use a batten to get it level and use *mirror glue* to hold it in place.

No worries abput screws.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Big worry about other people deciding it is in the wrong place:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb