Large mirrors

Hey guys,

I'm keen on fitting a large mirror (2.4m by 1m'ish) to the back of my bathroom inline with my soon-to-begin tiling job, but I'm not sure what the best route is. The acrylic mirrors of this size are pretty cheap and durable, but I hear they bend easily (giving a funhouse look), and need a lot of screwing, which would look rather ugly. A standard glass mirror would be very heavy on the wall, and has a risk of breaking when being fitted or moved, and is more expensive.

Any tips on the best thing to do?

Cheers, Tim

Reply to
Tim Johnson

IIRC acrylic is more expensive than glass. Used in night clubs etc for obvious reasons. I imagine if it's mounted on a flat surface you wouldn't get too much distortion, and a lot less condensation. I'd forget glass. Even

4mm will be a nightmare to move and fix. At least a 50-50 chance of breaking it before you get near the bathroom.
Reply to
stuart noble

One solution, not necessarily the cheapest but at a predictable cost, is to obtain the glass mirror on the basis of 'supply and install'! I doubt if a professional would add much to the price because of the risk of breakage as he would be used to handling glass. In any case, have a look at some of the proprietary fittings sold with glass mirrors to attach them to the wall using 'hidden fixing'. I was very surprised when I looked into what was available for a 1 metre square mirror for our new bathroom.

Reply to
Brian S Gray

I had a 5' x 5' 4mm, polished all round, no bevel mirror supplied and fitted by a mirror company last night.

Cost of the mirror was £106, and fitting was £40 - well worth it, as the responsibility is on the fitters! A mirror that size is a bit awkward to handle on your own - let them do it.

They stuck it to a tiled wall and now I have to leave it chocked up for a week before removing them.

Looks fantastic, and it was well worth the money!

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve