Rockwool Roll vs. Kingspan

I am debating weather to use the Kingspan 8'x 4' sheets or the Rockwoll roll 100 x 400 to insulate a suspended timber ground floor.

I have looked on the repsective websites for these manufacture's and cannot find the answer. The Kingspan references U-Values but these mean nothing to me!

What would give me the best results bearing in mind the cost difference per m^2. Roughly half the price for Rockwool!

Regards, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Kingspan is vastly better on U-Values per unit thickness. U-Values are very important and if I were you, I'd make the effort to understand what they mean. However, it is cheaper to get the same U-Value through rockwool. Unfortunately, this will be acquired by using a thickness many times that of the Kingspan. The installation details will determine if this is a problem. For installing in loft conversions where thinness is the key, Kingspan (or Celotex) rules. If you have loads of space to work in, and there are no damp concerns, rockwool may be more cost effective.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you have the depth ise the wool, teh kingspan is superior in terms of insulation per unit depth, so is used where depth is limited.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. approximately twice, not many times.

he installation details will determine if this is a problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Celotex and Kingspan also have vapour barriers on both sides. It is also much easier and quicker to fit these boards. You simply cut them to width and then put in nails or other suitable supports on each side of each joist. Lay the foam sheet in place and that's it - it's self supporting.

For a soft blanket material, time and effort is needed to put in a suitable arrangement to hold it in place.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall