Bathroom mirrors

Detergent breaks down surface tension so you get a thin film of water rather than the haze of many tiny droplets.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That may seem like a big worry but compare it with "the mirror's perfect but it shows the bath's in the wrong place".

Reply to
Robin

In message <20190123162939.3d4512e2@Mars>, Rob Morley snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

So a bit of Fairy liquid will do?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I told her it was there and could not be removed....tough

You sort that out at the temporary batten stage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Release agent on back of mirror before installing EG wax polish or clingfilm.

Reply to
harry

Many other adhesives attack the coatings, don't just use anything. A little warmth on the glass can prevent condensation.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Many surfactant will stop droplets forming, for an anti-mist coating you want one that clings to the glass while leaving the mirror looking clean.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You may have to consider losing weight when you see the full picture :-)

Reply to
Andrew

PAINT the edge of the mirror with clear laquer and also seal the back.

Bathroom moisture will soon seep in at the edge and start to destroy the mirroring.

Reply to
Andrew

Wrongly placed bath is bad news but nowhere near as bad as a 'wrongly located' bog, which 'needs' to go on the opposite wall from where the foul stack is.

Reply to
Andrew

I use Ilford Ilfotrol wetting agent to clean mirrors and the patio door glass. Any misting due to humidity seems to disappear quite quickly.

A litre only cost about £5 over 10 years ago and it is highly concentrated, a minute amount goes a long way.

Reply to
Andrew

And mirror glue will take the back off if you do move it, and probably the plaster skim too. But I agree, if you are very confident about positioning (e.g. if above tiles over a sink) then glue is the quick and easy way to go.

Reply to
newshound

Well, most of us...

If you are young and fit, or just ungodly fit and not young, I guess it's OK :-o

Reply to
Tim Watts

If not, you can get ones with a safety backing film that I assume holds all the shards in place if it does break.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The mirror is ordered and will be supplied with 4 corner fixing holes.

I'll take view on wall flatness when I install. I assume the fixings will have plastic spacer washers. If this is likely to lead to excessive flexing, I can take up Harry's suggestion of silicon strips and cling film to protect the silvering.

The location is pretty much determined by where there is sufficient vertical space to stand and shave (or perfect the eye make up) but not conflict with toilets/towel rails etc.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Seal in what way? Door seal round the edge or...?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

use rubber grommets behind it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't site it where you can see yourself sat on the bog. Quite disturbing!

Reply to
harry

Job done.

The mirror was supplied with foil backing so hopefully free of future moisture damage.

The wall was flat and the supplied fixings were longer than the mirror thickness so I decided to dispense with the tap washers I planned to use as spacers.

Slight annoyance that the shaver outlet fitted at the same time comes with a permanently on LED indicating the voltage selected. Helpful if you were stumbling around in the dark but most folk have a ceiling light.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

put a piece of insulting tape over the LED

Reply to
charles