Wing mirrors on cars

I've backed up a hay wagon attached to the tractor by a pintle hook. You know that saying about not being able to hit the broad side of a barn?

The head packer had a thing about the traditional old wagon so we'd use it if he was around. Feeding stock out of a 3/4 ton pickup is one hell of a lot easier in more ways than one.

Reply to
rbowman

That's cute. Standard issue here is a pickup bed:

You don't see it too much with modern unibody cars but making a pickup out of an old sedan was popular. It drives the car restorers nuts to find a vintage whatever that someone has been at with a cutting torch.

Reply to
rbowman

Can you imagine backing it connected behind a standard 2wheel trailer???

Then hang that 2 wheel trailer about 5 feet off to the one side of the tow vehicle - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Its the same in the UK - a bus license is completely seperate from a truck license and having one is legally no use for the other. Which doesn't make much sense to me. A bus is just a rigid truck with people instead of cargo, the only difference is knowing where to pull in safely to stop which should be a 2 min quiz.

Reply to
boltar

It doesn't anymore in the EU & UK. A car license is class B, to tow anything behind a car or van you now need B+E. I don't know when it was changed but if someone has just got their car license and heads off with a caravan hitched up they're breaking the law.

Reply to
boltar

mine allows me BE, but maybe that's because I passed my test in the late

1950s.
Reply to
charles

If its not an RFC it's irrelevant and just a wishlist by some random person(s).

"News software respects "Followup-To" and "Reply-To" specifications."

Which is a bloody stupid idea because these fields have been abused for years by trolls and people who must have the last word who set them so any replies to their posts vanish into a black hole.

Reply to
boltar

Is there *anything* you post about cars and driving that isn't utter bollocks?

Reply to
Huge

Yup. You'll also almost certainly have a default C1 on it too which allows you to drive a truck up to 7.5 tons loaded but since (90s? 00s?) new car drivers can only drive up to 3.5 tons loaded else they need to do a C1 test. Not sure what the rules for minibuses are on a car license.

(As a side note, what is the obsession with the 0.5 ton on everything? Why not just 7 or 8 tons?)

Reply to
boltar

When I became 70, I lost various things like Minibus. I no longer have C1 either.

Reply to
charles

OK, I get it. You just like being antisocial.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And trolling. And being completely wrong about more-or-less everything.

Reply to
Huge

Well you'd know all about that. If you want to tow over 3.5 tons combined then you need B+E.

Reply to
boltar

You can pretend the world is the way you want it to be or you can deal with it as it is. The fact it those fields have been abused for years and should always be ignored. If you want to limit the groups in the reply change the Newsgroups field itself but of course that way the troll can't have his sign-off flourish if he wants it to go to a different group.

Reply to
boltar

Talking to yourself on usenet is a bit worrying. You should see someone.

Reply to
boltar

Ah, so your earlier statement " to tow anything behind a car or van you now need B+E" was incorrect. Now you say "If you want to tow over 3.5 tons combined then you need B+E", which was my understanding of the situation for drivers which pass nowadays - that you *can* legally tow with a car licence (Class B) *as long the the trailer is small enough for the combined weight to be under 3.5 tonnes*.

It would have been so much easier if they'd defined the classes as:

- one class for car

- one add-on class for trailer up to combined 3.5T

- one add-on class for trailer exceeding 3.5T

rather than defining a class as being one thing plus a little bit of another thing.

I'd expect Class B to be defined as car-only, and then additional letters to define different sizes of trailers, with extra tests required to upgrade from car-only, because of the need to prove that you'd mastered reversing an articulated vehicle.

I presume (and I may be wrong) that an HGV learner driver who can already reverse a car and caravan is at a distinct advantage (when first learning) compared with a driver who has never towed anything articulated, and that the car-towing skill is transferrable. Obviously there are a great many differences - width, length, more powerful trailer brakes, very different ratio between towing-axle-to-hitch and hitch-to-towed-axle distances - which affects how much you need to swing the towing vehicle to steer the towed vehicle by a certain amount, but the basic principle is the same. Is that correct?

Reply to
NY

Well you'd think. But coming up with something sensible and easy to understand would go against all the principles the EU holds dear. One can hope once we've broken away from that failing institution we might slowly update our driving class and regs but I won't hold my breath. Our civil servants are little better.

I guess so but I've never towed anything with a car so couldn't say for sure. However reversing something with a 5th wheel apparently isn't quite the same as reversing something on a bar but I've only driven a wagon & drags so I'm not in a position to say.

Reply to
boltar

Nope. I've heard that drivers for CF that mostly pulled doubles and triples could back up a set of doubles but I never managed more than about ten feet before each trailer wanted to go its own way.

Reply to
rbowman

The joke among truckers is

What is the difference between a bull wagon (livestock hauler) and a bus?

You can use an electric prod on the cows.

Reply to
rbowman

Can you provide evidence that the category system is EU-mandated?

Reply to
Bob Eager