Wing mirrors on cars

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 19:44:10 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

No, that's when you scrape the side of your tyre off the kerb to find it= . Mind you, I've found a garage that gives a no quibble warranty on the= ir tyres. If they puncture before the end of the tread life, you get it= repaired or replaced free of charge, no matter why it got into that sta= te.

-- =

Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 19:44:10 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

No, that's when you scrape the side of your tyre off the kerb to find it= . Mind you, I've found a garage that gives a no quibble warranty on the= ir tyres. If they puncture before the end of the tread life, you get it= repaired or replaced free of charge, no matter why it got into that sta= te.

-- =

Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Three duplicated posts from the troll. Did you know that the psychopath Hucker claims to have a degree? I've seen it and still have it. Forgery. Hucker is a piss poor delivery boy and that is all he ever will be.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I was talking about the clutch. You are talking about the gearbox. Yes, DSG is a pair of automated manuals.

Not for the most part, other than when the revs are such that the engine can't physically produce the power you're asking for. For a throttled engine, power is proportional to airflow and the throttle controls airflow. For constant throttle, volumetric efficiency changes with speed change.

For a diesel, the pedal controls injector duty cycle (power). Change revs, the injectors operate at a different frequency but the duty cycle remains the same.

If it did not work in that way, an automatic would lurch on every shift unless the driver made a synchronised pedal movement.

Why should its fast shifts be better than the sufficiently fast shifts of an epicyclic? When the main thing, whatever the transmission technology, is to make decent decisions about when the shift occurs.

I don't see your connection. Are you trying to suggest that if they made one bad decision another completely unrelated one must also be bad?

Of course it can. If you don't mind cooking the clutch you can get maximum torque at zero speed. Stop looking at the engine in isolation and consider the complete drive train.

A throttle is something else an electric motor doesn't have... (*)

I also bet that electric cars are configured so the motor doesn't produce maximum torque at zero speed. Same problem as a clutch - it will get hot. Also, it is zero efficiency so wastes electricity; and the gearing is such that it would spin the wheels.

(*) A car, as far as the driver is concerned, has an accelerator pedal. I don't understand why we have the historic term "throttle". Furthermore, "full throttle" (for cars that have one) is when the foot is completely *off* the accelerator.

Reply to
TMS320

I doubt a train is damaged much by a person, so no harm done to the innocent.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've sent one. If my newsserver duplicates it, go moan at Chris.

Awaiting your proof....

But I get a lie in.

-- =

Disk Full - Press F1 to belch.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Isn't the big advantage of electric vehicles that you have one fixed ratio (which may be direct drive) and all the "gearing" is done by changing the windings in use and/or the frequency and mark:space ratio of the driving current, so you don't have a) the cost/size/weight and b) the discontinuity of traction and step-function change of torque at the wheels for same torque at engine that a multi-ratio gearbox causes?

Electric trains have a fixed motor-wheel gearing (not sure whether it's typically direct drive) and there's no *mechanical* change of gear, even though with some trains such as Class 465 you can hear a rising-note "singing" from the motors which notches back and rises again several times during acceleration - presumably as a variable frequency supply is fed to different windings on synchronous motors.

Do electric cars not use the same arrangement: variable frequency inverters, sync motors and different windings brought into play?

Reply to
NY

Someone has to scrape the remains off the bogey etc.

Most modern train engines don't have a cow catcher anymore.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Trains cannot go round really tight bends, especially not at high speed. So unless you're hobbling at 0.5mph, you can get across easily. Take responsibility for your own safety and stop trying to blame others. Are you an American or something?

Tbh there shouldn't be any trains at all. They're unfit for purpose. The land used for them is left empty 99.9% of th time, they have insufficient brakes to avoid a collision, they use more fuel per person than a car, they cost more to travel on than a car, just why do we have them?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Oh, I think it is a more active resistance than that.

It's an opinion.

That's true, but he didn't write that.

Not enough to matter.

Ignorant of what, exactly? That slushboxes aren't smoother? Most car buyers are ignorant (and I doubt it has national boundaries) but opinions matter and manufacturers have to follow the money. I would be very surprised if a slushbox was cheaper to make.

Reply to
TMS320

So the next Labour government can nationalise them, of course.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Indeed :-/

See if I email this to my friend, how do you expect to get your ten quid?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I make a dispensation in your favour, as an individual, so do whatever you wish on this occasion with my blessing.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I have a filter to delete anyone using the followup header. Followups are for trolling. Although it doesn't catch people who just delete a group from the list.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I (in Opera) set the filter: "If any header contains "Followup-To"" then delete.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

How is trying to ignore trolls antisocial?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The followup header is pointless for a non-troll, because your reply doesn't got to the new group, only the ones after it. Better just to add the newsgroup to the newsgroup header.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Maybe it's the ability to drive while passengers are distracting you. Does the test have noisy crowds of people on the bus?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Reversing badly isn't going to cause a nasty accident. Driving forwards with a trailer is a piece of cake. The worst you might do is clip the kerb if you don't take a corner or junction wide enough.

Just how fast could that car accelerate? I very much doubt they were written off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I don't see the problem with reversing a trailer. Just think if you were pushing a supermarket trolley, and you want it to go right, clearly you move your hands left.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword