Unlike plain water, which flies can shed, soapy water truly wets them.
The added weight of water makes them too heavy to fly.
A slight amount of soap will not harm plants. I have used a trace of
soap in water as a wetting agent to moisten potting mix that has become
bone dry. I also mix a generouse squirt of liquid soap with water-based
sprays when applying insecticides or herbicides to ensure the target
plants are indeed wet by the spray. I use the cheapest liquid dish
detergent that I can find that does not have added scents.
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Given < wrote: > How does a single soap drop of "flak" incapacitate a housefly?
Did you add an acid?
Dish soap + vinegar
Antibacterial soap + cider
Non antibacterial Dawn dish detergent + water
Two percent soapy water with no citric acid
Dish soap + baking soda + vinegar
I have a sprayer with soapy (disk soap) water that I
use to shoot down flies and nail spiders with around
insects do not have lungs. Instead their bodies are riddled
with tubes to the outside. The insects movement forces air
in and out. These tubes are too small for the surface tension
of water to penetrate.
The way soapy water works is that is lowers the surface
tension of water so that it goes down their breathing tubes.
The little buggers literally drown.
Insecticidal soap is another word for expensive dish soap,
expensive shampoo, or just plain old sodium laurel sulfate.
All the same stuff.
Soap won't hurt plants.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.