Michigan Idiot video

When idiots meet lake-effect snow.

duh

But officer, I have 4WD. Most of the probably could have delayed the trip for another day, every one of them could have slowed down.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yup, easy-peasy to drive on snow/ice (flat terrain).  Just drive 30-50 mph and don't tailgate.  Sure, 30 mph sucks but it sure beats 0 mph in the ditch and a trip to the body shop on a flat-bed.

Reply to
0ren

Ditches fill up with 4WD drives first. People just don't learn that 4WD or AWD does not stop a vehicle any faster.

Reply to
Frank

I often speak with people who have the false sense of security with the belief an SUV or AWD vehicle will prove better on ice. They ignore the reality that no amount of drive system or type of tire will stop on ice.

Reply to
Meanie

  Studded tires do OK ... and chains work even better . I have a set for both vehicles - though I really need  a second set for the truck since it's 2wd . The 4Runner is 4WD , it goes wherever I point the front tires .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yah,  and the $60k 4WDs are usually the first ones to the scene of the accident.

Reply to
FauxID

Many states ban studded tires and chains. The people in the states that allow it are usually too lazy to install and remove them based on weather changes.

Reply to
Meanie

That's right. Studs are banned here and I can't remember last time I saw chains. Snow tires help but my point is that all vehicles have brakes on each wheel and stop just as fast as those with FWD/AWD.

Reply to
Frank

Aren't you in PA? IIRC they were banned at one time.

PA Permitted November 1 ? April 15

Michigan, where the video was made does not permit studs.

Chains are good in some circumstances, but not much value on well plowed roads. They do little with stopping too. Last time I remember chains was probably back in the 1960s. When we lived in Philly the side streets were not plowed and chains made a difference. I had studs on my Corvair and it was great in snow.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I live in middle NC. We do not usually have many snows that stay on the roads. Anything over 4 inches is a big snow to us and I have only seen

12 to 14 inches 3 to 5 times in over 60 years.

Last time I was on the interstate and snow was about 25 years ago. Got caught and had to drive about 30 miles in the stuff. The fastest I got was from 15 to 20 mph on the interstate as it had not been plowed or anything. Some cars were doing about the same speed. Some would pass me going fast and I would pass some of those that got stuck in the ditch as they slid off the interstate. While 15 mph may be slow, it beats being off the road and waiting several hours to get towed out of the ditch.

I live in the country and just past my house is a very sharp curve and if you do not make it, the ground drops off rapid to about 6 feet below the road. Sofar two cars have been pulled out of that in the 14 years I have lived here. The road is not that well traveled either.

AS many mentioned the 4 WD will go, but not stop or turn any better than a standard 2 wheel drive.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

  Up here most snow storms start off as rain , progressing to sleet/freezing rain , then the snow . We've had ice storms that put a glaze of ice on the ground so slippery you couldn't stand up . The ONLY way anybody moves on that ice is with chains or studs . And then it's very slowly and carefully . These winding mountain roads are not a priority for the plows , they only plow halfway to our place (from town) until sometimes well after the storm is over . I chain up my little tractor to plow our road up to the highway , other neighbors also contribute to that effort with their equipment - all chained up .
Reply to
Terry Coombs