Lake Michigan has become dramatically clearer in last 20 years - but at a steep cost

Lake Michigan has become dramatically clearer in last 20 years - but at a steep cost

BurfordTJustice

The obvious answer would be to find a fish that eats mussels, (sheep head?) but I imagine that would bring on another problem. As a general rule it is not nice to fool with mother nature but it sounds like mother nature may have left the building as far as native species go. I remember 50 years ago they were talking about the miracle of cleaning up the lake near Chicago by changing the direction of the Chicago river, sending their pollution down to the Illinois and eventually the Mississippi instead of into the lake.

Reply to
gfretwell

might be easier to filter calcium out of the lake so the mussels can't grow shells

but who knew that Salmon were in the great lakes

Reply to
ZZyXX

Me, but I've lived in Michigan all my life. I recall my uncle fishing for coho when I was a teen.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I was surprised to see some in the water intake crib in the South Works of US Steel. That was 1968. A neighbor gave me a 15 pounder against my objections in about 1980. I buried it in the garden. You had to be careful with them because of mercury and PCBs. I just wouldn't eat them.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I've seen any number of shows about salmon, but never once did they ever mention Great Lakes Salmon. I've never seen anything but Atlantic/Pacific Salmon. Seems to me so of that salmon would have made its way to local shops

Reply to
ZZyXX

rbowman