Tom Watson

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

--

Reply to
dpb

Yeah. That's why I pasted the whole article the last time I got something from the Times.

Of course, people complained that I hadn't simply posted the link.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

"dpb" wrote>

give you acct name and PW for the ny times and many other sites. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Iz okay. I registered, oh, many years ago and have never gotten spam, or, for that matter, any email, from them.

Reply to
HeyBub

I registered a few years ago. Must have a cookie because it never asks me to log in. Never got any spam from them either so not need for great concern.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was able to read it without registering or logging in -- I know I don't have any cookies stored because I clean those out pretty much daily in my Konqueror (linux) browser.

RIP Barry -- that product unstuck a lot of bolts and protected a lot of equipment.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Must; wanted cookies enabled, too...

--

Reply to
dpb

On 7/22/2009 7:17 PM HeyBub spake thus:

I still prefer to do an end run around their silly "registration" scheme by using Bugmenot. (Besides, it helps satisfy my requirement for doing at least one illegal or at least frowned-upon thing daily.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

RE: Subject

Spritz some WD-40 on cast iron saw table, then some 150 wet/dry on a ROS, a little elbow grease, and all those nasty little rust stains disappear.

Follow up with a paper towel wipe down, and you're ready for some paste wax or other protectorant of choice.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Kerosene, any light oil, water, virtually any other lubricant will do the same...

--

Reply to
dpb

Try buying kerosene in SoCal.

Close as you come is a bottle of scented and colored lamp oil.

Understand it's the same in South Florida according to a buddy of mine.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

internet search showed about a dozen in the LA area in ThomasNet; retail yellow pages about as many more...

But, point was/is "...virtually any other lubricant" will do...nothing unique about the WD40 for the purpose.

--

Reply to
dpb

WD40 has one major function that puts it above more pedestrian lubricants. It displaces water. I had a distributor cap full of condensation and the car just would not start. One blast of WD40 and she fired right up. OTOH, WD40 is not really a very good lubricant. Better than a poke in the eye, but I wouldn't use it for anything that requires long lasting lubrication.

As for unique, no. LPS1 is a direct knockoff of WD40 and in my experience, a superior product in every way. There's even different grades, LPS3 being a thicker, higher viscosity, version. The one advantage to WD40, you can buy it almost anywhere. I've even seen it in mini-marts.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Ever drive in L/A traffic which is over 500 sq miles in area?

"About a dozen" sales locations doesn't get the job done.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Pretty much what I do. My tablesaw lives in the garage of a friend and at the beginning of the summer every year when I go over for the first time, I take WD-40 and some 0000 grit steel wool. Touches it up very nicely.

Reply to
Upscale

I frankly don't give a rat's patootie whether you can or can't buy whatever at your corner 7-11; a 5-second look indicated it's not kerosene is not pure unobtanium even in LA metro...I don't think it would be particularly difficult to find in any general area if were actually so inclined. That it's apparently difficult at all simply indicates to me a poor choice of living locations.

That aside, the point still is, take tap water; it'll serve the same purpose for the suggested use just as effectively; all it's doing is serving as a lubricant instead of dry scrubbing.

In fact, I would far prefer wet/dry paper and water for the specific use--it's a much faster process.

Reply to
dpb

Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

Actually, unfortunately, I have...spent several years w/ primary client of Garrett AirResearch in Torrance/Huntington Beach area. Needless to say, was always a relief to get the h - e - double-toothpicks back to E TN hills...

--

Reply to
dpb

Get out the phone book and call gas stations until you find one with a kerosene pump. There may not be many but there should be a few. Try marinas too.

has a list of distributors--most of them want you to buy 50 gallons or more to get it directly from them, but they should be able to tell you what retailers they supply.

If you're using it for a solvent then paying Home Depot's ludicrous price for a gallon can is not all that unreasonable, but I'd be damned if I'd buy it there to burn.

Reply to
J. Clarke