What finish for router table top?

I am making a router table and need to know what finish to use on the plywood top. something that will help wood slide along wood. Tung Oil?, or polyurethane?

Reply to
SlooFoot

NOT tung oil. For fences and sleds I use multiple coats of shellac, polished up to the white synthetic steel wool, followed by paste wax. slicker than you can imagine. (My router table is covered by laminate and it isn't as slippery as my shellacked/waxed mdf and ply stuff.

dave

Reply to
David

I'm not sure a bare plywood top is the way to go. Most people will cover it with a layer of formica laminate.

Mine is two layers of 3/4 MDF (No formica) glued together. Works great.

Reply to
stoutman

Formica.

It's cheap, easy, and you can wax it to make it even slicker.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Formica (top and bottom).

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Reply to
C & E

Thank you! Merry Christmas!

Reply to
stoutman

I strongly suggest something harder than wood. I have worn groves in my plastic laminate top.

Reply to
Leon

Leon, have you seen the wear that UHMW material suffers when used for fences? Dave

Reply to
David

Glossy plastic laminate.

Look at the sample rings at your local Borg.

They will have to order it in for you, as it is not a stock item.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Yes. My Jet rip fence uses it. However it holds up longer as not as many boards go through my TS as my router table.

Try running Ipe through thousands of times.

Reply to
Leon

For a bit I considered Ipe for a deck, but their literature and a call to the supplier verified that they do not recommend securing the boards from underneath. I HATE deck screws topside. Once you've seen a deck with no visible nails or screws you don't want to deface your next deck!

I was surprised at the modest cost of Ipe when it's on sale locally. Maybe they give a break on the price because they know customers will wipe out a blade during installation.

dave

Reply to
David

Two words: For Mica

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thank you all. Thats what I needed to know.

Reply to
SlooFoot