In general, what temperature do you keep your house living areas at during the winter?

In general, what temperature do you keep your house living areas at during the winter?
I was at a friend's house which was set to 54 degrees F (12 C) which is basically ambient inside temperature for the winter here in California.
He told me that he likes to keep it a bit cool, when I started wondering what others keep their houses at.
Just by way of a quick survey, what temperature do you normally keep your living areas at during the active times of the day when people are up and about?
On 02/08/2019 07:54 PM, arlen holder wrote:

60-65. It may be psychological. In the summer the nighttime temperatures drop here and 50's in the morning if fine, but my mind knows it's going to get warmer soon. When the forecast is for single digits for the next week or more my mind knows it ain't gonna get warm anytime soon.

70.
arlen holder wrote:

70 F. During the day when nobody is home I'll set it back to 68.
If it's windy outside, I might set it for 71 F overnight.
My two outside thermometers read 11 and 14 right now. During the past couple of weeks it has got to -4 F.
If I'm home and it's sunny and not too windy and outdoor temp is 25 - 40 I'll set the indoor temp to 69.
Two story, 1975, brick exterior on first story, second story could use more insulation on walls. Original Pella windows. Forced air natural gas (original furnace, standing pilot, natural draft combustion exhaust, single stage). Drum humidifier. Main floor humidity reading of somewhere between 30 - 40%. Furnace fan runs 24/7.
In the summer my AC will struggle to get to 73F and 50% humidity when its 85F and 65% humidity outside. There have been times when it's like 75-80 F and 75% humidity outside in the summer. When it's like that outside, 73F feels cool, even cold (initially). Condensation has formed on windows *on the outside* a few times. It would feel uncomfortable (too warm) right now if it was 73F inside.

Down to -12C again tonight - Was up to 0C (32f) today - as high as 11C the last few days - and highs in the -20C range for the last few weeks. With winds hovering around 60kph today it felt a lot colder than the thermometer indicated, with a bit of lake effect snow blowing around.
Duringthe day we keep it around 18C, then after dinner when sitting around watching the news or TV programs we often bump it up to 22 - then down to 17 or so overnight

About the same as mine, but I replaced the original aluminum frame windows with LowE2 glass in Rehau vinyl framed windows about 20-25 years ago. Much tighter and better insulated. Replaced the furnace with a 2 stage mid efficiency furnace about 20 years ago. The DC fan saved a lot on the hydro bill.

My AC can keep the house uncomfortably cool in 30C weather, even with 85% humidity but we generally don't keep it very cool. Electricity is too expensive at peak time
On 2/8/2019 9:54 PM, arlen holder wrote:

It's not my choice but the thermostat is set at 68° F because that is the temperature my wife's dog likes.
On 2/8/2019 9:54 PM, arlen holder wrote:

When I lived in CT, daytime was 70 first thing in the morning but would drop to 68 at 10 AM when you were active. At 10 PM it would drop to 64 for sleeping.
Here in FL on cooler nights it will drop to 70 with no heat on. It will go to 73 but if it warms more the AC will kick on to keep it at 73. We've not been here in the summer so I don't know yet how the days will be when 90 and humid outside. The AC will run until we are comfortable.
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 02:54:53 -0000 (UTC), arlen holder

about 17C
On 2/8/2019 8:54 PM, arlen holder wrote:

  Between 65° and 70° depending on activity level . Hard to maintain an exact temp , we heat with a wood stove . Night time we turn the stove down , average between 60° and 65° .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 02/08/2019 10:19 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

The last time I had a wood stove the bed was in an open loft. There's an incredibly poor idea, picturesque though. The outhouse only had three walls and a great view of the valley as you did your thing. At 5 below.
The woman I rented it from lived in town in the winter. That should have made me suspicious.
On 2/9/2019 2:08 PM, rbowman wrote:

  The way our house is laid out the living room and dining room/kitchen is basically one big room . The bedroom has a 3' doorway and a 16" x 24" opening (had a window AC in it when that was an outside wall)in the corner nearest the stove - the hole is right above the stove . A fan in the hole sucks from the bedroom and blows the air across the stove then throughout the rest of the house . Bedroom stays a little cooler than the rest of the house which is fine . Ceiling fans keep the warm air from stagnating at the ceiling .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 9:54:56 PM UTC-5, arlen holder wrote:

71 F, 24/7/365, except when the windows are open during the day in mild weather. Then it may drop as low as 60 F.
Cindy Hamilton

Glad to see one as high as mine. Us seniors need higher temps. In summer with AC ours is set at 75.
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 7:17:32 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

We're working toward that. We used to set it at 70 F. I'm surprised how much difference one degree makes.
Cindy Hamilton

I can feel the difference too. It is surprising.

Oh yes, it does. We had hydronic heat in the last house and it would hold very well at whatever it was set at. The reading on the thermostat thermometer never varied from the setting. Occasionally if we felt cool I'd bump it one degree and life was good again.
New house has hot air with a heat pump. It does not hold as accurately and I can feel the difference from start to finish on a cycle. I've been making little adjustments to the vents for better balance.
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:32:43 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We run the blower on our furnace constantly. It really evens things out, plus we get extra filtration for my asthmatic husband.
Cindy Hamilton
On 2/8/2019 9:54 PM, arlen holder wrote:

During the night, 67. Daytime, 68 and evening, when sitting around 69. I don't like to swing it too much as the heat pump takes too long to recover.
On 2/8/2019 8:54 PM, arlen holder wrote:

Some people must like it rough. I have been creeping my indoor temperature up from 70 F (21 C) to 75 F (24 C) over the past few years. A lot of times even that feels cool. During the summer I keep the temperature at 78 F (26 C) and run the ceiling fans. They generally take 2 or 3 degrees off of the temperature.
Bill
On 2/9/2019 9:27 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

Humidity also makes a big difference. In very cold weather the inside air humidity can get very low. Our humidifier comes on when ever the furnace is running. In summers here, it is the reverse. High humidity makes hot air even less pleasant. Central AC takes out humidity but if not in use, a dehumidifier helps.