In general, what temperature do you keep your house living areas at during the winter?

wrote:

I find a good sweater is a lot cheaper than an extra 5 degrees on the thermostat.
In the summer we also have a ceiling fan in the kitchen - you can only take off so much when it gets too warm - - - -
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 9 Feb 2019 02:54:53 -0000 (UTC), arlen

54! You know the same temperature feels colder when you're in the house than when you're outside. And it's not just becaus you have the sun on you. I think it's true even without sun. So 54 might be fine with a jacket outside, but inside? Does he wear a sweater, or a coat?
When I was a boy my mother kept the house at 68, and she was thrifty. Grew up poor, and just when she married a professional man, the depression hit. Not much money for 8 more years. She also turned it down to maybe 64 (66?) at night, then up again when she got up, always before I did.
In the winter, she would put my coat over the hot air vent so that it was warm when I left for school.
By the time I had my own house, there were timers that would turn it down automatically, and so I did, to 66 or less and up to 70 the rest of the time. I figured, I'm so close to being happy at 68, for a little more money, it can be 70.
Now that I don't have a schedule, could be awake or asleep at any hour, it's probably at 70 all the time but the thermostat is hard to get to now so I'm not sure.
I come from northern Minnesota and now live in northern Illinois (which fee ls like the south, temperature wise!). In both places, I keep the house at 60 F during the night for sleeping and during the day when no one is home. In the evening and on weekends, the thermostat is set to 68. If I feel c hilly, I put on a sweater. : )
DC
On Friday, 8 February 2019 20:54:56 UTC-6, arlen holder wrote:

On Friday, 8 February 2019 20:54:56 UTC-6, arlen holder wrote:

Day: 68°F
Night: 64°F
On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 9:54:56 PM UTC-5, arlen holder wrote:

On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 9:54:56 PM UTC-5, arlen holder wrote:

68 degrees when we are home, 63 during the day and overnight. Michigan.

75-76 sometimes 77. 70 night.
Greg