Insulating UNOCCUPIED Attics in Residences

I have always gone by the philosophy that the overhead(roof) rafters should not be batted unless the attic will be fully sheet-rocked, climate-controlled and lived in, and only the attic floor(ceilings below) should be insulated.

Am I correct?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

  That's the I've always seen it done . That's the way I'm doing it in the house we're building - 4/12 pitch roof leaves a little room for storage , no way enough space for any kind of room .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Keeping heat in or out? yes, that is the traditional method. In the south where it gets hot they now use a reflective barrier on the roof rafters to reduce the solar load. I had it added when my house was built but I've only been here six weeks so I don't know how well it works.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think the crux of the issue is not really insulation - but rather ventilation ... is your "storage " area going to be well ventilated to the great outdoors - or sealed off from outside temperatures ? John T.

hubops

"I think the crux of the issue is not really insulation - but rather ventilation ... is your "storage " area going to be well ventilated to the great outdoors - or sealed off from outside temperatures ? John T. "

In a traditional unoccupied attic, the only thing the roof keeps out is the beating sun in summer, and precipitation and strong winds year round. Other than that, it is ventilated, around the edges where the eaves meet the attic deck, and optionally, via a ridge vent along the peak. That is why we insulate the attic deck(the ceilings of the highest rooms in the house).

This should be common knowledge John.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

How clever ! You've answered your own question, apparently. :-) I have seen old 2 1/2 story houses where the "attic" is not really "living space" ie: has no HVAC nor electricity, but has a walk-up access and therefore is used as storage space. These areas will have whatever ventilation and insulation combinations that 100 + years of numerous homeowners have deemed proper at the time. <buyer beware>

John T.

hubops