climatizing/ insulating a vinyl/ wooden shed?

Reply to
nospambob

I am in need of a small climate-controlled shed to protect some environmental sensitive equipment that I don't have room to store in the house. I'd like to keep the enclosure costs as inexpensive as possible and I am currently looking at the Royal series of vinyl sheds, which would be mounted on a wooden base near my house. Inside the shed, I am planning on using a combination self contained indoor air conditioning/ heating unit. Since I don't want this 1000 watt unit running all the time during the seasons, I am considering insulating the shed (would it even be needed with vinyl?). I'm not sure if it's possible to insulate the inside as it's vinyl, but if it is could someone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for insulating instructions for the walls, ceiling (especially important due to extreme summertime heat) and floor also since it will be wooden. Also, although the shed has two vents and I will be using an indoor heating/ac unit, should I cover them or leave them open?

Thanks, JB

Reply to
Jim Booth

Yes, insulation would indeed be needed.

As to instructions, get a DIY weatherproofing book and read up on this

John

Reply to
John Crea

Insulation is a must to control temperature, but it will need heat/cooling most of the year if the instruments have to be in a tight temperature range. Insulation slows the movement of heat (the R factor) but does not eliminate it. Depending on the size and your climate, the 1000 watt unit will not do a heck of a lot. It will need a LOT of insulation in a very cold climate, but the insulation is usually chepaer than paying for heat energy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I "Think" that I have the shed your looking at the Winchester?? anyway I really like it but I'm not sure how your going to insulate it. IF it's the same model the "panels" are hollow and you could I suppose have foam injected in them, that might be a good way to go. The panels are about 3" thick and filled with foam should give a good R value. The double doors are a metal clad solid core doors but they are not insulated....

William....

Reply to
William

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:9ifZb.24445$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com:

Do some lookinging into spray foam. There are places that for $1.50 a square foot will spray a 4 - 6 inch thick foam on any surface. Verticle, horizontal, it doesn't matter. And for the surface..... That stuff is so sticky it will stick to anything.

If you want you can have the underside foamed by drilling small holes in the floor. You can pretty much coccoon anything in foam.

Reply to
Joe Willmann