My new snow blower - video

Some of you may remember that I asked for advice on which snowblower to purchase.

I made my decision, purchased a unit and put a video of it on youtube.

I think you'll agree that I made a wise decision.

DerbyDad03

Humor aside, I'm not sure about the forward visibility of that - plus I'm surprised there's even the need for the blowers; we get some pretty harsh winters up here in northern MN, and a bobcat on its own copes just fine.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I lived in the high country of Colorado for 13 years. Normal snowfall through the winter season was 300 inches. I bought a snow plow for my 1967 Bronco Cost me $750.00 installed. Worked very good. When I moved back to civilization sold the plow for $500.00 So that was a good investment. WW

Reply to
WW

My snow removal. Except for the sidewalks :)

A. Baum

Golly Wiggly! I'm glad I live in Alabamastan where we don't need those infernal contraptions. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

But where do you store it?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I have a snow shovel hanging in my garage. It's useful for sweeping up sawdust. I was going to hang it over the mantle as a reminder of Vermont Winters, but SWMBO vetoed the idea.

Reply to
krw

Paid itself in the first winter '2008' I bought it. In good snow months I can make $400/week minus fuel (about $100). That's an extra $5k in my pocket a year. The Cummins diesel plus Allison tranny rox! 500+ foot-lbs torque @ 2500rpm :)

Reply to
A. Baum

I noticed the nice truck. We have the rare paralyzing snow storm down here every now and then and all the transplanted Yankees laugh their butts off at the tiny amount of snow it takes to bring Birmingham to its knees. It's a weird place where there may be snow one day and 80° temps the next day. The old saying around these here parts is, "If ya don't like the weather, stick around, it'll change." 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, I do! ;-) Last Winter they cancelled work on the forecast of snow. It didn't snow overnight so I didn't bother to check the web site before going in. There were only two of us there. I bugged out at 10:00. It did snow some about 4:00; all gone the next day.

Reply to
krw

Was it you who wrote that you had moved to Alabamastan? 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I did, Auburn area. One of us is confused. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Have you been by The Swine Research Unit? I drove by there years ago and the foul air choked me and almost stalled out my car. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

catch it around 5 minute mark.

But seriously, it is so cold here that most people have stopped wearing shorts!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

When I was stationed in Alaska in the Coast Guard we had 2 machines similar to that for clearing the roads and runways.

Each machine had a 12 cylinder diesel to run the truck and another 12 cylinder diesel to run the thrower.

One husky survived being thrown by the machine (broken hip), another did not fair so well and had to be put down.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Man, I wish I had one of those last year here in North West Alabama. I woke up one morning and there was 1/8" of snow on the driveway!! I had to wait until 11:00AM for it all to melt so I could get down the driveway hill.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

Very pricey. My $1600 18 hp Murray garden tractor mounted $400 40" single stage snow blower has been cleaning my 100 ft 2 lane driveway right down to the asphalt for the past 12 years. Note: Prices are 12 years old. Although the prices for the less than big name tractors haven't gone up too much since, I understand the blower attachment can now cost up to 4x the original price. Before the blower, I had a 48" plow blade mounted on it, but because of the amount and regularity of snow we get up here, my driveway kept getting narrower. In the spring, the blower is taken off and the 46" mower deck is put on. All reside in a 12' x 16' shed facing the driveway..

Reply to
willshak

I survived The Blizzard Of 93 in Birmingham, I never lost power because I was downtown a few blocks from UAB and I sat up there in my second story lair watching the National Guard Hummvees rattle up and down the city streets and James Span the weatherman jumping up and down like an excited chimp on the 24 hour TV weather disaster broadcast. A lot of people lost power but I was cozy with the only problem being the phone was out so I couldn't get on The Internet (dialup back then).

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's a bad bad boy. Was it ever too much for it to handle? From the Video it looked like about 3' that it took down to the pavement. Incredible.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Isn't it potentially dangerous to allow pigs to be scientists? They could eventually achieve world domination, and we'd all have to bow down before our porcine overlords...

Reply to
Jules Richardson