Low protein vegetables.

My doctor is suggesting low protein vegetables for a while. I have Gout . Which I have been trying to address over a few years with diet.

Instead of meds. Like Allupurinol and Colchicines.

I've been pretty happy with my managing .

But this is a big fail. Its very bad.

I set it off by eating a couple of deer steaks and making Rabbit stew. A couple of times in January .

I'm pretty much done with game animals. Which I love so much. Because of all the crap in our store bought meat.

I've not given much thought to vegetable protein.

But I do make Miso soup which has tofu in it. But Its been a while.

It just seems rather extreme to say that I cant eat certain vegetables due to protein content.

Any comments.

Diesel.

Reply to
DogDiesel

I find this strange as I would expect the method of reducing protein intake to be to limit meat, fish, dairy and eggs. If you are going to follow the doctor's advice stay away from beans, peas and pulses such as lentils, soy etc and also from products derived from them such as tofu, tempeh. You will need to monitor your consumption of protein in all forms carefully as there are deficiency diseases resulting from lack of essentail amino acids that the body cannot synthesize. But I assume your doctor has already told you this.

David Hare-Scott

Protien rich foods should be reduced, but not wholly avoided. Not all protien foods are high in purines, much as not all sugars metabolize at the same rate.

I'm not a doctor, but what you might consider doing is increasing your intake of foods which help the body eliminate uric acid, such as leafy greens. ALso red cabbage, tomatoes, and green beans.

I'd seek the advice of a nutritionist (if your doctor refers you, perhaps your medical insurance will cover it).

My wife has suffered gout a few times in the past 10 years. From what I've seen, it's clearly no fun.

Reply to
Sean Straw

' ' Purines. That is it.

Thank you for advice. It is not fun. You're wife has surely endured something. Three years ago I had my first can't walk attack.

I made it much worse by not using the meds correctly.

Lets just say. I raised my pain threshold upper limit 10, to mean. Sticking your foot in hot lava.

And arthritis is nothing now.

I haven't had cabbage in a while. maybe its time for a pot.

it wont be the same without a corned beef in it...

Reply to
DogDiesel

Try roasting it - cut it up into wedges (think like pulling an orange apart), with the core cut out, drizzle a bit of olive oil and good balsamic vinegar on it, and roast it in the oven. Comes out wonderful.

Reply to
Sean Straw

Perfect time of year for that too. Thanks.

Diesel.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Hi All,

I have been told that asparagus is very bad for gout. I can not veryfy this as was told to by a fellow gardener who had gout. He does not grow it anymore. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
Richard Watkin

Body needs balanced protein as supplied by animal products. You can't live without protein.

If you are a vegetarian you have to balance the protein with different plant sources.

I don't know anything about gout but is one protein the problem and what vegetable sources avoid it?

I like my venison but am supposed to cut way back on red meat because of cholesterol. I limit myself to a quarter pound a day and cholesterol is fine.

I suspect, more fluids, no booze and less meat will help your problem.

Reply to
Frank

Nearly all veggies other than legumes are low protein.

Let's see if I understand purines correctly. For a long time I thought it was a particular set of amino acids but that's not right. Is it neuclaic acids like DNA and RNA? If so then the bigger the size of each individual cell the fewer cells per size then the less purines. Most veggies have large cells.

I take it dairy products are low purine because there are few/no cells in milk.

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

There seems to be some disagreement about this. Wikipedia quotes some articles saying that purine intake is not as important as once thought.

David Hare-Scott

I've been reading that too. It appears that a heart healthy diet for keeping down cholesterol is also good for gout. Main point is cutting back on red meat and avoiding fats. Vegetables are good for you but things like french fries should not be considered as vegetables ;)

Reply to
Frank

Ohh, gout is a hurting for certain. Hopefully it is just gout and there is no underlying cause other than diet. I've been living for nearly 12 years now with RA with gouty tendencies and a psoriasis element that I have to keep suppressed. Maxing out on Morphine and Vicodine does not even begin to address my pain in an acute flair. So I am speaking with a bit of experience on the subject. I am not surprised at the BS advice given to you so far but ya gotta stop listening to this "old think" of all the friendly helpful homepathetic gurus and Internet Medics you read here and go find a good Internal Med Doc or a good Rheumatologist. Made a big difference from what my GP knew on the subject, I am able now to enjoy meats, shellfish, even beer occasionally, in moderation of course, all except for red wine, for some reason a glass of Red rips me up the next day. So. like plants it all has to do with the proper uptake.

You might try the Mayo Clinic Gout diet. A Mediterranean style diet is a good example to follow, albeit absent charcuterie, offal and oily fish/shellfish. Veggies should not be an issue with gout, especially greens, That is old think. Science knows better these days. As for the meat, lean game is much better than beef and pork but If your hyperuricemia is such that a dish of rabbit stew will trigger an attack, you need to stay on your Allopurinol ( a low dosage anyway) as a prophylaxis so as to keep your levels < 6 or you invite an acute attack . The colchicine is tough on a system I have some just in case but do not use it.. There is a new drug out claiming to better control Uric Acid that you may want to discuss with your doctor called Uloric (febuxostat).

good luck Dog

Reply to
Gunner

I've been reading that too. It appears that a heart healthy diet for keeping down cholesterol is also good for gout.

That's only partially true. If you try to use soy products for protein in place of red meat gout flares can increase. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. The foods that cause me the most problems are chicken livers (absolutely love them, but only a couple will cause a week or more of agony) and soy. A few years ago in an attempt to lower cholesterol I substituted soy for all red meats. I had the absolute worst flare ever. Usually I only get it in one big toe or the other. That time it was in both toes and both ankles. I couldn't walk for nearly 2 weeks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

Ohh, gout is a hurting for certain. Hopefully it is just gout and there is no underlying cause other than diet. I've been living for nearly 12 years now with RA with gouty tendencies and a psoriasis element that I have to keep suppressed. Maxing out on Morphine and Vicodine does not even begin to address my pain in an acute flair. So I am speaking with a bit of experience on the subject.

That reminds me of the story of a local man who amputated his gouty toe with a 12 gauge. If you've never had gout you just cannot understand.

I live in Western NC, we have the highest incidence of kidney stones in the country if not the world. Did you know that gout and kidney stones are caused by the same problem? Chances are that if you have had problems with one and do not treat it you will experience the other at some time in your life. I've had both, the kidney stones first. Have you ever begged a friend to knock you unconscious?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

I was just checking. Sources for vitamin d, fish, meat, etc. I would suggest taking at least 1000 units a day and vitamin c, at least 500 units per day. D and c are recommended for gout. I was getting major hip problems

3 years ago. I attribute my recovery mostly to vitamin d. Also improved other areas of my body. Activity in the sun will reduce supplemental d requirements.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Sounds like the beginning of a first date in some parts of the USA.

Reply to
Sean Straw