Low carb, high fat cute garden plants?

I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have a concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a monster tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately adjacent to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant a lawn elsewhere).

My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants that are not grains.

I live in Zone 5 (N Illinois).

One plant that I can think of is sunflowers. Maybe I will throw some corn into it, for looks and for other members of my family, but I am looking for other suggestions.

Thanks!

Ignoramus2437

Veggies and such that you can grow like that usually aren't high fat.. spinach is great if you like it and is usually easy to grow..

Teeb

Reply to
Teeb

Spinach requires a lot of watering, I think, but you made a good point.

Maybe I will also plant some peppers there also.

Ignoramus2437

Besides avocado or nut trees... very few plants bear high fat edibles.

Since it's already Fall... you have all winter to peruse the garden catalogs (a fun thing) and decide what to plant come spring.

Jennifer

Ignoramus2437 wrote:

Reply to
Jennifer

I live smack in the middle of the desert in the southwest US.. I had spinach in my garden very early this past spring.. it's a great cool weather plant. I didn't water it any more than my other veggies, which is about every other day when I walk around with the hose.. I currently still have tomatoes, several kinds of chiles, cucumbers and planted my fall crop of spinach just last weekend. Also have tons of various herbs. Cooler weather can usually help deal somewhat with watering issues.

Teeb

Reply to
Teeb

That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may also die from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc., before the next year is up.

Low carb diet is nothing but a scam.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, I am not looking to lose weight. I lost weight last year and kept it off, by eating a moderate carb diet, plenty of meat, eggs etc, about 25% of calories from carbs, calorie controlled.

I switched to low carb diet this year to make weight maintenance easier.

Alright, anyhow, if we set this issue aside, do you have any garden suggestions in response to my question that Iposted oroginally?

Ignoramus2437

This is why it's not good net-iquette to cross post.

People in the garden group will have opinions about your food choices.

Better to post it twice individually.

Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

it is, in fact, proper netiquette to crosspost if the original post is relevant to more than one group.

like they aren't going to have an opinion on it if he posts it individually?

Reply to
The Queen of Cans and Jars

And we might, in fact, share our collective knowledge with the garden people, as they would do same for us.

Ignoramus2437

Peanuts? :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

| That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may | also die from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc., | before the next year is up. | | Low carb diet is nothing but a scam. | | Bill

Please cite the research to back up your claims.

Oh that;s right, you can't -- because it's purely fiction!

LMAO!

Reply to
marengo

Ig -

Check out this site for some ideas:

was thinking olive, but that might not work in zone 5.

Ignoramus2437 wrote: || I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have || a concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the || retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a || monster tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately || adjacent to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant || a lawn elsewhere). || || My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants || that are not grains. || || I live in Zone 5 (N Illinois). || || One plant that I can think of is sunflowers. Maybe I will throw some || corn into it, for looks and for other members of my family, but I am || looking for other suggestions. || || Thanks! || || i

Reply to
Roger Zoul

Thanks. We actually do own an olive tree, but it grows in a huge pot. We take it out for the summer and will take it inside for the winter.

Ignoramus2437

I saw your earlier post talking about growing chilies - you might have to treat your chilies plants the way you treat your olive tree if you're planning to grow them. Otherwise you'll have to seed a new batch every year.

Do you have a glass house? They perform particularly well in a glass house from what I heard.

Reply to
Ada Ma

Chilies? What is that? Are you talking about chili peppers or something else? Are you perhaps confusing me with someone, or calling some of the plants that I mentioned, by different name? I am confused.

Ignoramus2437

You say that like it's a bad thing.

No, then I couldn't throw stones.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

That explains it Bill! Thanks for the info.

I ate a low carb peanut butter sandwich last year and I immediately died from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack etc., just as you said. Luckily I had my reincarnation insurance paid up, wasn't it?

You are a very useful guy to have around Bill. Your in-depth knowledge and incredible insight into scams and human nutrition is something that can only be admired.

I guess that avocados are poison eh Bill? What with the high fat, low carbs. Maybe they are Saddam's secret weapons of mass destruction? They are a sort of drab military green after all. Do you think that someone should whisper into Bush's ear?

What do you suggest as a good diet Bill?

It is obvious that you personally are thriving amazingly well on BS, but for those of us with a little more taste and discernment, coupled with a lack of access to fresh bovine created food sources, what would be a good thing?

Regards

David

Reply to
J. David Anderson

Hi Dave:

A fool you are! LOL

I have no problem with you believing in a high fat, low carb diet, I find the planet overpopulated with fatso's anyway. The nutrition committee of the American Heart Association has issued a science advisory warning that high-protein diets have not been proven effective and pose health risks. The report covered the Atkins, Zone, Protein Power, Sugar Busters, and Stillman diets. The committee stated:

a.. Such diets may produce short-term weight loss through dehydration. b.. Weight loss may also occur through caloric restriction resulting from the fact that the diets are relatively unpalatable. c.. The high fat content may be harmful to the cardiovascular system in the long run. d.. Any improvement in blood cholesterol levels and insulin management would be due to weight loss, not the change in composition. e.. A very high-protein diet is especially risky for patients with diabetes because it can speed the progression of diabetic kidney disease [8].

Bill

is plenty of research to back up my claim, problem is that fat people won't believe it. Being fat is being lazy and being lazy means that you are looking for a panacea.

You can lose weight with any diet, but to lose weight with high fat, low carbs permanently, you have to die, and die you will, as Dr. Atkins did at

258 lbs with conditions arising from his cardiomyopathy, a lack of blood flow.

The Bottom Line Although short-range studies have found that low-carbohydrate diets can produce weight loss, no study has demonstrated that such diets are safe or effective for long-term use [11-14,22,23]. Atkins advocated his diet for more than 30 years and stated that more than 60,000 patients treated at his center had used his diet as their primary protocol. However, he never published any study in which people who used his program were monitored over a period of several years. The recent popularity of low-carbohydrate diets has encouraged food companies to market low-carbohydrate foods for people who want to "watch their carbs." Most of these foods are much higher in fat than the foods they are designed to replace. I believe that "low-carb" advertising is encouraging both dieters and nondieters to eat high-fat foods, which is exactly the opposite of what medical and nutrition authorities have been urging for decades. Following a low-carbohydrate diet under medical supervision may make sense for some people, but a population-wide increase in fat consumption is a recipe for disaster.

For Additional Information a.. American Heart Association Statement on High Protein Diets b.. atkinsfacts.org: Archive of documents about the Atkins diet

The joke is on you fat boy! LOL

Bill

Reply to
Bill