Finished the Cypress Chairs

A few weeks ago I finished the cypress chairs, 2 captains and 3 side chairs . Took about 1.5 yrs from concept to finish. Probably one of my longes t projects to complete. but no power tools were used, all *hand/hand tool w orked. Always wanted to do a complete project by hand, hand tools.

*The salvaged boards were originally cut with some saw long ago, the only p ower tool used.

Square "button" decor, on the backrest, matches the design of the leg tenon s through the seat. These buttons are carved dowels with square heads and are on the arm rests, also. The backrest didn't need to be doweled, but we re doweled specifically with this decor feature in mind.

The square heads are raised above the surfaces and edges are beveled. Leo n's "crowned" bed post, in this fashion, gave me this idea to have raised s quare-head dowels.

The finish is semi gloss water base Varathane floor finish. They are com fortable seats. I like them.

Scroll right for 2 more pics. I should have taken a pic of the arm decor.

/

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

rs. Took about 1.5 yrs from concept to finish. Probably one of my long est projects to complete. but no power tools were used, all *hand/hand tool worked. Always wanted to do a complete project by hand, hand tools.

power tool used.

ons through the seat. These buttons are carved dowels with square heads an d are on the arm rests, also. The backrest didn't need to be doweled, but were doweled specifically with this decor feature in mind.

eon's "crowned" bed post, in this fashion, gave me this idea to have raised square-head dowels.

omfortable seats. I like them.

Congratulations on fulfilling your dream of a hand-made project. The workmanship in amazing.

Where will you use the chairs? The bulk is really evident...they wouldn't visually "fit" anywhere in my house. Is there a big bulky table that people have been standing up at for the past year and a half waiting for you to finish the d*mn chairs? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They are bulky, purposely, because cypress is not your normal lumber for making chairs. The bulk is to compensate for the weakness of the wood, compared to walnut, oak, etc.

They will go with the 9' cypress trestle table, with 8' bench, that I made previously for the camp at the farm.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I thought I recalled a table. I scrolled through some of your pictures last night but I guess I didn't go back far enough.

A camp/farm setting is the perfect place for those beautiful pieces. I'm sure your family will enjoy them for generations.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Four more pics, scroll right:

We tore down the old tractor/equipment work shed at the farm and had a new metal building erected. This new building became the camp. Our initial dining table was small, seen on the right in this coat rack pic.

Hopefully this/next week I will deliver the chairs and take pics of the dining area.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Please post a side by side picture of the 2 tables. I'm not really seeing much of a difference. ;-)

How far is the camp from your main residence? Is it a chore to get there or is it an "easy and often" trip?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

About 45 miles from home (here) and 10 miles from the old homestead (where I grew up, about an hour's drive from home (here). Home is in Lafayette, La. Camp is in Morrow, La.

Side note: The Morrow area has sandy soil (less clay than here), somewhat like the farther north piney woods areas. I'm thinking/hoping this area i s close enough to the lower range of the chestnut tree, as per maps.

For some years I've been "studying" the chestnut and would like to plant so me trees at the farm, hoping they will grow and hoping this area might be l ess prone to the blight, than other infected areas. I've been contemplati ng getting some trees, available from a Georgia tree farm.... stock is avai lable from now to March (unless they sell out of stock before March). The ir ad notes original tree stock, not hybrid. Now's about the time to plan t the trees.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I have Chinese variety of Chestnut, which grows quite well here in southern Illinois (heavy clay soil). The deer love them as do the squirels, the tree will not grow as large as it American cousin. The trees have self craeted a nice grove.

Reply to
Markem

If my stock doesn't grow/produce because of blight, I may opt for a hybrid variety.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Well if you want the chestnuts for planting, late July to august is when they are dropping here. Packing up a few is no problem. The pods themselves are viscous thing, think sweet gum with a fire ants bite.

Reply to
Markem