Tea Table Leg Work

Got the legs fitting into their 3/8" recesses, into the table top's bottom side. I'll also dowel them in place, when I get the dowel alignment done.. .. probably later today. I'd like to install two 1/2" dowels for each leg. Hope to epoxy everything tomorrow.
The legs aren't carved, but the natural shapes have been cleaned up and som ewhat carved-shaped, in places and along their profiles... sanded to 220 gr it.
First pic is the original leg stock. Scroll right for 3 more pics. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/43780500792/in/dateposted-public /
Sonny
On 8/3/18 2:24 PM, Sonny wrote:

That's pretty cool, Sonny! Just epoxy or will there be a mechanical fastener?
--

-MIKE-

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 4:06:31 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I hope it turns out cool. I had initially thought of using just screws on the recessed legs.... they fit snug in the recesses, but decided to also us e dowels. Dowels should be fairly easy to install. I've marked their lo cations on the legs and have drilled the holes. The table recesses are ma rked, but it's too dark, now, to drill them.
I spent most of the afternoon watching golf, rather than doing some woodwor k.
Sonny
On 8/3/2018 2:24 PM, Sonny wrote:

Looks great. The feet/legs on the table looks like hoofs. ;~) Have you picked out your china for the tea cups yet? Something delicate would be nice. ;~)
On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 4:57:18 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

They do. Many of my earlier benches and tables had similar limbs for legs ... complements the live edge table top.

I suppose Insuk uses traditional Korean tea service. Her home has lots of Korean decor. Initially, she wanted me to cut out a section of the table , something like 2'X2', for a hot plate and drainage, like some of these fa ncy tea tables. I wasn't aware of such tables, until she described what w as typical for a setting. I rejected that idea, as she didn't have a hot plate or drainage system/hardware that I could pattern into the top, beside s, I didn't want to do all that work, nor was I confident I could do a good job with that kind of installation.
The legs are short, about 10". Probably, not much of the legs will be see n, but what is seen should complement the live edge of the table. It was partly the live edge that attracted Insuk to wanting the table top, in the first place. Many yrs ago, I built a similar cedar bench for her patio.
Sonny
I think the tea table is finished. Got the legs installed and finished. The dowels fit snugly and all is epoxied in place, very well. All seems nice and solid. Cleaned, then very-fine sanded and waxed the top.
I didn't use screws, in addition to the epoxy. Should I add screws for ad ditional attachment? I'm kinna at a loss as to use them, though it would be easy to install. I wonder if the screws would be visible, even if inst alled on the interior side of the legs.
Another project: Made and upholstered 5 wall panels for a friends dance st udio, delivered last night (Whew!) and were installed by an installer, last night.... just in time for today's opening year of dance. This was not, so much, a fun rush job, but I kinna take away a lesson for rush jobs, try to gain a little more time, somehow. I enjoyed it, at any rate, for a fri end. Owner Jill & the decorator had given me a basic design and allowed m e draw up the details of what I thought was best to match their criteria. They loved the results.... Whew! I'll take pics when I deliver the invoi ce. Prior to this, I upholstered 2 of the studio's lobby chairs, with plea sing results. I was told the chairs were broken (loose, wobbly backrest), somehow, but kinna like with some of my relatives, it was just some loose screws, so all's good to go, now.... the chairs, that is, not my relatives!
Sonny
Tea Table is delivered.... two pics. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/42222407070/in/dateposted-public/
Sonny
On 8/14/18 9:44 AM, Sonny wrote:

Looks awesome. Hope they love it.
--

-MIKE-

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 10:43:51 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

They did. They had dropped by, last week, to check out the progress.
Personally, I don't think it matches most of the decor in that living room. To me, it coordinates better in the next room, adjacent to the patio.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

Sonny, It looks great! Leaving the knot on the sides was a nice artistic touch!
Bill
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 5:36:11 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

blic/

Thanks Bill and everyone else. I always liked nature's designs.... Better designing than I could ever do. The customer likes them, too, and the fe et/legs.
Some 15+ years ago I made a side table for her. A cedar top-of-the-tree, with 4"-6" trunk section (maybe 2' long), with a bunch of limbs sticking ou t. Flip the unit upside down, so that the limbs pointed downward, the lim bs becoming the legs/supports. I put a top on it, similar to this https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/8011569479/in/dateposted-public/ This side table was just out of the pic shot of the tea table. I should h ave taken a pic of it, also, as I never took a pic of it when built.
Sonny