Outside Table Finish

I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table. It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on it that would not be too oily. Any suggestions? Thanks CP

Reply to
MOP CAP

Paint is likely the only thing that will hold up for a decent amount of time.

Reply to
Leon

Stain is the obvious choice (something with UV inhibitors, and 'redwood' color, would be suitable). You probably don't want paint, a nonporous layer of paint will just blister when the wood (inevitably) gets wet, assuming it bonds to the wood at all.

I like to wire-brush exterior wood before staining; it makes the debris move out of the grain. A vacuum would pull any loose material from the checked regions.

Reply to
whit3rd

I've seen a good paint-job last for many years - on a picnic table under a patio roof, but otherwise explosed 4 Canadian seasons. I've also seen stain that lasts only a couple years on a deck fence. .. so I don't think there is one simple answer. Personally, I like the weathered look on outdoor wood - as long as it's solid. Some folks want it to look like their dining room set .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Umm, the out sides of painted houses get wet all the time when it rains.

Reply to
Leon

Ed Pawlowski

Even windowsills aren't horizontal, though. The water runs off, by design. We don't use paint on flat wood roofs.

Reply to
whit3rd

Yeah, I was thinking of suggesting that the OP cut 2 legs shorter than the others before painting.

2 adjacent legs, of course. ;-)
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Marine Varnish. It won't last forever, needs renewing every few years. I used on mahogany decking on a sailboat exposed to salt water and sun. It held up.

Reply to
Bob D

I would use and exterior oil. Protects fairly well and is easy to refresh.

Depending on where you live, watch the paint you buy. Here in Central Alabama, most of the leading brands have problems with mold and mildew. There is one brand that holds up better than the rest, and its not the most popular (herd mentality, I guess).

Reply to
Dr. Deb