The Bench - Finally Done

I finished my daughter's bench. It's a good thing that I don't do this stuff for a living. My hourly rate would be in the negative numbers.
It's ready for delivery and ultimately to be painted. Painting it is her choice. She's going to match her already painted dining room table and chairs. Although painting it would not be my first choice, it's her bench so I didn't say a word.
This was my first project made from over-sized S2S wood. First use of my planer. A jointer would have helped. Instead, I made a edge jointer jig for my table saw fence. It works fine for short boards, but it's tough to joint a 8/4 x 10 x 6' board, especially in my small shop.
I used three 8/4 x 8' poplar boards, one of which was twisted as some of you may recall from my "Is My Planer Set Up Correctly" thread. Probably not the best choice for first-time planer use but I managed.
The design is essentially 100% my daughter's. I offered her options (straight legs or angled, flat seat or grooved, location of stretcher, etc.) The result was based on her choices.
60"L x 14"W x 18"H
Comments, questions and concerns most assuredly welcome.
https://i.imgur.com/Ju4XAWW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lKWXiTy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ofie3zU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/49h33u2.jpg
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 5:00:55 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Looks terrific! Nicely done.
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 7:50:50 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

Thanks!
On 2/17/2019 5:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Quite a lot of grain for poplar...

How did you attach the leg brackets and legs?
That's a cross-grain connection there...

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:23:20 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

not

I'm not quite sure which leg connection you are referring to, so I'll explain both.
This is what I refer to as a "leg assembly". The legs are 2-1/2" x 2-1/2". They are attached to the top of the leg assembly with glue and four 2-1/2" pocket screws. 2 on the inside (shown) and 2 on the outside.
https://i.imgur.com/SBLp0Rr.jpg
The leg assembly is then attached to the seat with glue and four 2-1/2" HD Kreg screws, although they are not in pockets. They are screwed in at roughly the same angle as the legs, 12.5°. A Kreg HD screw is basicall y a 1/4" lag screw with a square drive head. (image later)
Here you can see the filled pocket holes at the top of the outside of the leg and the not-yet-filled counter sunk holes for the HD screws.
https://i.imgur.com/KHws2hD.jpg
A Kreg HD screw, just in case you are not familiar.
https://i.imgur.com/Y6tm2sd.jpg?1
Every connection is glued and pocket screwed. The glue may be over-kill but I figured if it provided even the tiniest bit of wiggle-prevention, the screws would experience that much less side-to-side stress. Cheap and easy, so why not?
I asked my daughter numerous times if she stilled planned on painting it, even after she had seen the completed seat, which was the first part that was built. Without hesitation she said "Yes" so I knew that pocket screws with filled holes would be OK.
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 5:00:55 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
It looks really nice. She will love it. Good job.

I suppose you sanded the bottom of the feet (end grain) nice and smooth AND that she will prime it before painting.
Might recommend to her to thin a bit of primer for the feet bottoms. Thinned primer will adhere (soak in a bit) better on that end grain, helping counter any unseen saw dust and/or dirt/dust that might interfere with primer adhesion.
With best adhered primer/paint, if she applies felt or vinyl casters to the feet, the caster's adhesive will less likely loosen/peel off the primer-paint.
Sonny
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:28:35 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

I did sand the bottom of the feet. I was considering adhering those plastic sliders before I deliver it. She has an area rug in the dining room. Maybe I should apply a few coats of wipe-on poly to seal the end grain before attaching the sliders. Thoughts?
On 2/17/2019 9:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Used indoors I don't think sealer will matter much but glides would help.
Nice looking bench. Yeah, a shame to paint it, but, , ,
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 10:12:50 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The purpose of the sealer would be to help the adhesive glides adhese better on the end grain, assuming enough buildup. Nothing to do with inside vs. out.

Thanks...and yeah.
So far she hasn't painted the bed I built her yet. ;-)
https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:39:04 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

ic

Be careful what you buy, sliders or the stickum casters!! The sliders do n't have the adhesive stickum. Sliders are used just for sliding/moving furniture. You don't want the sliders. I've mistakenly bought the slider s, when I wanted the felt or vinyl stickum casters. The packaging for eac h look very much alike, so it's easy to mistakenly pick up the wrong item.
On almost all the furniture I upholstery, I replace these stickum casters, because of adhesion issues. Sand the old surface and apply a reasonable se aler, for better/best caster adhesion. The customers appreciate the extra little effort.
Maybe

It's preventative maintenance, of sorts, and easy to do, especially if you have some quick-dry poly handy.
Sonny
On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 9:34:45 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

stic

don't have the adhesive stickum. Sliders are used just for sliding/movin g furniture. You don't want the sliders. I've mistakenly bought the slid ers, when I wanted the felt or vinyl stickum casters. The packaging for e ach look very much alike, so it's easy to mistakenly pick up the wrong item .

, because of adhesion issues. Sand the old surface and apply a reasonable sealer, for better/best caster adhesion. The customers appreciate the ext ra little effort.

u have some quick-dry poly handy.

Addendum: Just give her the casters... let her install them after she pain ts. Suggest not painting the bottom of the feet, since you have poly ther e, already.
Sonny
On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:34:45 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

stic

don't have the adhesive stickum.
I beg to differ:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-1-2-in-Square-Adhesive-Slider-4-Pack -4701244EB/203672156
Bought, installed and briefly tested. So far, so good.
Yes, they also sell non-adhesive styles, typically with a foam pad on the "top" so that the piece of furniture doesn't slide around on the slider itself.
Aren't casters "wheels"?
caster noun [ C ] US ​ /ˈkæs·tər/ ​ a small wheel, usually one of a set, that is fixed to the bottom, usually of the leg, of a piece of furniture so that it can be moved easily

Felt sliders are typically labeled for use on hard floors:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-in-Beige-Reusable-Felt-Square-Furnit ure-Sliders-for-Hard-Floors-4-Pack-804424/306229486
The hard plastic style are for use on almost all surfaces, especially carpet, where felt won't work very well. They also work on floors.

,

u have some quick-dry poly handy.

My daughter lives 2.5 hours from me. Based on our schedules, today was the only day for a few weeks that we could meet up. We adhesed the sliders to t he raw wood after having the discussion re: stick-to-it-iveness. If they don't stay on, we'll discuss other options, including screw on sliders.
She took me out for a nice lunch before I drove back home. :-)
On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 6:36:44 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, I'll concur. As I typed, I used the wrong term.
Seems the stores have sliders and gliders, the gliders being the adhesive pads. I knew there was two similar items and I've made the mistake (when in a rush) of buying sliders, when I wanted adhesive gliders. It was this mistake I was conveying to you.
I've used the term casters before, though, when informing customers of the replacing of their furniture's pads.
Sonny
On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 10:02:20 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

ers don't have the adhesive stickum.

Pack-4701244EB/203672156

pads. I knew there was two similar items and I've made the mistake (when in a rush) of buying sliders, when I wanted adhesive gliders. It was thi s mistake I was conveying to you.

e replacing of their furniture's pads.

Did they get a confused look on their face? ;-)
I did some searching and the only times I can find where "casters" and "pad s" are used in conjunction with each other is when they talk about those quick release caster pads that make swapping out caster (wheel) assemblies easier .
https://casterconnection.com/caster-pad-for-4-x-4-1-2-top-plate.html
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 5:00:55 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nice
BTW, that is why its called a "hobby," it allows you to take all the time you need and spend ridiculous amounts, with no attending guilt. ;-)
Dr. Deb wrote:

Nice job! Since you asked for comments, my only concern is how the brace is attached at each end. If it's just a couple of nails into end grain, I would add something more substantial--to make sure it lasts forever! People will surely place their feet on it... Lovely table!
Bill

I agree it's nice work.
I've noted several people expressing concern over attachment of the legs. If you look closely you'll see that there are plugs consistent with pocket-hole screws. Looks like 4 per leg. Can't tell if there is also dowelling or tenons, or, for that matter, if what look like plugs are in fact dowel-ends.
On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 8:39:41 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

Good eye.
Four 2-1/2" pocket screws per leg into the horizontal brace.
Four 2-1/2" HD counter sunk pocket screws (not pocketed) attach the brace to the bench. The screws were driven at a 12.5° angle. Same angl e as the legs 'cuz that's how the drill had to be held. ;-)
I threw some glue at all connection points just for good measure.
Pocket holes are filled here, counter sunk holes were filled later:
https://i.imgur.com/KHws2hD.jpg
On 2/18/2019 7:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

For future situations, you can make the pilot hole a little larger in diameter to compensate for movement.
On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 10:52:36 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

angle

Thanks