The new Tool

Some of you may remember me asking if anyone here has gotten a Shaper Origin yet.

I got mine about 10 days ago and have not had tome to test it out much other than the samples in the below links.

The tool comes with a map of the United States to practice with. I actually went over this same map with two different bits and multiple times with each. The registration for restarting a project is spot on. Basically if a piece needs to be modified it is a no brainer to set it back up and make a modification, this is assuming that you need to remove more material rather than replace material. :~)

Anyway this link takes you to my very first ever attempt at using a CNC. Obviously I should have used a larger piece of wood so that I could have scaled the map larger. Unfortunately some of the NE states got wiped off the map. ;~) The blank was 12" x 7" Also each state was individual, none shared the neighbor states geometry and this resulted in a wider division between the states. And FWIW this tool has scalable on-board lettering, hence the TEXAS.

July 5 I decided to see if I could duplicate the logo on my business card less the phone number and specialties. I would like to add this engraving to each of my pieces from this point on, or if a customer wants to bring me a door or drawer to add this to. It is approximately

2.5" x 1.5" This was done all with a v-groove bit and I am pleased with a first time attempt of converting a drawing of a bridge and importing lettering with a different font. Maybe a 1/16" straight cut bit will yield a simpler appearance.

Leon

Nice! Now, what'cha going to do with it?

Reply to
krw

Pretty cool, though the Red River seems a bit rough.

Reply to
Markem

LOL. Yeah, over a large area, down here, we've had lots of rain, lately. Still more for today, as well. Those CNC machines can do landscaping, also. By next week Leon will have earned his landscaping certificate.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

A number of things, I hope. Specifically I want to personalize my work, use it for yet another way to create box joints and dove tail joints. I think doing box joints and DT joints should be significantly easier not using a jig to guide the router. Also, mortise and tennon joints should be much easier. Of course not as easy as with the Domino but much easier than other methods. Signs. A lot of my jobs involve long arcs. I normally print these out on several sheets of paper, tape them together, and glue to the board. Then bandsaw cut and sand. Now I can just CNC the shape directly on the board. AND drill any size hole exactly the size I need.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks. Yeah, I first started with a "v" bit and cut way deeper than I thought I was cutting.

Reply to
Leon

LOL ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Seems like overkill. Why doesn't a DT jig work? I don't see that it'll solve the real problems (getting the depth right).

I was going to say... What happened to your Domino? ;-) WHy use something that's harder?

Ellipse router jig?

Reply to
krw

But you have to keep them Okies up there. ;0

Reply to
Markem

Leon wrote in news:xeydna snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Does the tool automatically adjust the height? You'll get very used to "zeroing" the tool bit height if it does so. It's just one of those CNC things.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Probably is overkill but I have a Leigh DT jig and I cringe with the thought of setting it up every time I want to use it. I even have a Leigh template for box joints and that jig is a PIA. I hate having to adjust the guide bushing setting.

The Domino cannot do everything accurately, especially in the face of sheet good.

And with sheet good in mind, the Shaper Origin can do dado's, grooves, and rabbets.

Have you seen one that will do an 8 foot long arc with a radius of 30 feet? I have 3 pieces of furniture in my home that have these sized arcs.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah! LOL and for good measure I removed their handle too.

Reply to
Leon

It does a Z calibration at the surface. From there you set the depth settings. It does not automatically adjust height while cutting. Height is preset and changed by you when necessary.

My Initial problem was that, when using the engraving setting, it suggested .005" deep. I thought double that, .1. Obviously I thought the suggested setting was .05. .01 worked well, and then I went back over that with a 1/8 straight cut bit at about the same depth. If you zoom in you can see the tale tell signs of the v grove bit in the center of all the gaps between the states.

Reply to
Leon

I am also waiting for the Shaper Workstation to arrive, late Summer. It will hold wood similar to a DT or box joint jig but also at angles and no template.

Leon

Definitely cool. What's the workstation worth?

Reply to
krw

Worth or cost? LOL

Shockingly inexpensive compared to something like a Leigh DR4 DT jig, and or the Shaper Origin itself. I think my price for the fathers day deal with the Shaper Origin, $400. The Shaper Origin was $2499 IIRC and it has a quad core computer in it.

Reply to
Leon

That "quad core" computer (System-On-Chip) costs less than a buck.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Maybe, but what size computer does your router have? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Does it come with free programming?

Reply to