The new Tool

Some of you may remember me asking if anyone here has gotten a Shaper Origin yet.
I got mine about 10 days ago and have not had tome to test it out much
other than the samples in the below links.
The tool comes with a map of the United States to practice with. I actually went over this same map with two different bits and multiple times with each. The registration for restarting a project is spot on. Basically if a piece needs to be modified it is a no brainer to set it back up and make a modification, this is assuming that you need to remove more material rather than replace material. :~)
Anyway this link takes you to my very first ever attempt at using a CNC. Obviously I should have used a larger piece of wood so that I could have scaled the map larger. Unfortunately some of the NE states got wiped off the map. ;~) The blank was 12" x 7" Also each state was individual, none shared the neighbor states geometry and this resulted in a wider division between the states. And FWIW this tool has scalable on-board lettering, hence the TEXAS.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/50059565867/in/photostream/
July 5 I decided to see if I could duplicate the logo on my business card less the phone number and specialties. I would like to add this engraving to each of my pieces from this point on, or if a customer wants to bring me a door or drawer to add this to. It is approximately 2.5" x 1.5" This was done all with a v-groove bit and I am pleased with a first time attempt of converting a drawing of a bridge and importing lettering with a different font. Maybe a 1/16" straight cut bit will yield a simpler appearance.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/50084757206/in/photostream/

Nice! Now, what'cha going to do with it?
On 7/6/2020 6:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

A number of things, I hope. Specifically I want to personalize my work, use it for yet another way to create box joints and dove tail joints. I think doing box joints and DT joints should be significantly easier not using a jig to guide the router. Also, mortise and tennon joints should be much easier. Of course not as easy as with the Domino but much easier than other methods. Signs. A lot of my jobs involve long arcs. I normally print these out on several sheets of paper, tape them together, and glue to the board. Then bandsaw cut and sand. Now I can just CNC the shape directly on the board. AND drill any size hole exactly the size I need.

Seems like overkill. Why doesn't a DT jig work? I don't see that it'll solve the real problems (getting the depth right).

I was going to say... What happened to your Domino? ;-) WHy use something that's harder?

Ellipse router jig?
On 7/7/2020 7:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Probably is overkill but I have a Leigh DT jig and I cringe with the thought of setting it up every time I want to use it. I even have a Leigh template for box joints and that jig is a PIA. I hate having to adjust the guide bushing setting.

The Domino cannot do everything accurately, especially in the face of sheet good.
And with sheet good in mind, the Shaper Origin can do dado's, grooves, and rabbets.

Have you seen one that will do an 8 foot long arc with a radius of 30 feet? I have 3 pieces of furniture in my home that have these sized arcs.
On 7/7/2020 7:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

I am also waiting for the Shaper Workstation to arrive, late Summer. It will hold wood similar to a DT or box joint jig but also at angles and no template.
https://www.shapertools.com/en-us/workstation/overview/

Definitely cool. What's the workstation worth?
On 7/8/2020 9:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Worth or cost? LOL
Shockingly inexpensive compared to something like a Leigh DR4 DT jig, and or the Shaper Origin itself. I think my price for the fathers day deal with the Shaper Origin, $400. The Shaper Origin was $2499 IIRC and it has a quad core computer in it.

That "quad core" computer (System-On-Chip) costs less than a buck.
On 7/10/2020 12:02 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Maybe, but what size computer does your router have? ;~)

Approximately 79 cubic inches :-).
On 7/10/2020 12:37 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

And 6 HP? LOL
On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 1:02:44 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Does it come with free programming?
On 7/10/2020 12:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Can you clarify programing?
There are many free, hundreds of downloadable files for, projects that can be downloaded from Shaper HUB. Additionally the tool has built in programing for making scalable box joints, circles, text, etc. No computer necessary for any of the above. The tool connects to your WiFi for downloads or you can use a USB flash drive to transfer custom files directly from your computer. AND you can upload project files to Shaper HUB from your computer and access those files directly with the Shaper Origin if WiFi is available at the job location.
There are several "free" programs available to use for creating projects files. InkScape, Fusion 360, and Vector to name a few.
The Shaper web site has YouTube tutorials on the above listed programs for creating project files.

Unlike the chip itself, the programming is amortized across all shaper origin routers. So, if not free, inexpensive.

I think he meant the underlying programming in the router itself, not the plans for projects....
On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 4:23:36 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

I was responding to Scott's comment that the CPU was only worth a buck.
Throwing a piece of hardware inside the tool doesn't do much good unless some engineers and programmers can make it do cool stuff.
That's where the real cost is.

Pretty cool, though the Red River seems a bit rough.
On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 9:28:24 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:

LOL. Yeah, over a large area, down here, we've had lots of rain, lately. Still more for today, as well. Those CNC machines can do landscaping, also. By next week Leon will have earned his landscaping certificate.
Sonny
On 7/7/2020 7:41 AM, Sonny wrote:

LOL ;~)
On 7/6/2020 9:28 PM, Markem wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, I first started with a "v" bit and cut way deeper than I thought I was cutting.