LInux - pah humbug.

Every Windows machine I was using - HP, Dell, Asus, Acer and MS Surfaces worked flawlessly with Miracast. Just "Win+K" and away you go. Even on monitors/TVs that had the MS Surface adapter fitted.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Unless I'm ignorant, which is perfectly possible on pc stuff, IIRC back then

- linux required ext3

- NT requires ntfs

- and 98 required VFAT ... and none of them would work on the others' FSes. So no wonder any one of the above would trash a shared disc. How you were able to even install them I don't know.

Reply to
Animal

It's like old home week inside this page.

As if we'd teleported back to a time when ALSA roamed the Earth.

In the case of Pulse, it has some other dependencies that make no sense. Why would a modem daemon be needed to make a hands free protocol work ?

And Bluez was written by Qualcomm, with a claim "supports all Bluetooth profiles".

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I expect you found something like this?

Adrian Caspersz

TL;DR the whole thing is a horse designed by committee.

Don't get me wrong. I like linux. It's a very powerful and capable operating system. But in banging it's drum for 15 f****ng years it's further from being a replacement for Windows than it ever was. Meanwhile, Microsoft have nicked the linux act, and gone cli-only on servers, and powershell mad on desktops. The only advantage my linux skills bought me in the last job was being at ease with scripts while the kidz struggled with the idea od doing things on the command line.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yup, that's the guide I followed.

It "works" in that after it, the headset shows as an available input (which it doesn't in pure Pulseaudio land). However selecting it doesn't pick up any sound.

(I also have my doubts about whether Pulseausio is *really* selecting the correct profile in Sound manager).

It's probably now just a single line in a file, somewhere. But I'm giving up here, as I know I could spend the rest of the year (:)) trying. Instead I have replacement earpads arriving today that will allow me to use a wired headset.

If I get invited to give a presentation, I will NOT take a linux laptop like I did last year. The cringe factor of it failing to connect and needing the IT guys to find a cable to the projector (which they noted they hadn't needed for years) did not sell "linux" well in the MS workspace. Although to be fair they offered to put the slide pack on a memory stick and play it via (any) one of their machines. Of course this is when you discover that LibreOffice Present does NOT save in PPTX format. No matter what it's told you. Ouch.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

To be fair I have never known *linux* "trash" a disk. It's file system support is much more comprehensive than Windows. To the extent that an essential tool in any nerds box is some sort of LiveCD. My current DVD of choice is Kali Linux. Incredibly useful for recovering Windows partitions and password.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Just to add:

quote You can ensure that Pipewire is now running through:

pactl info This command will give the following output, in Server Name you can see:

PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.28) Things should be working by now and you can see your microphone. unquote

Yes I can. I can't use it. But I can see it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I?ve never known any OS trash a disk. Various ones fail, including Linux but it is hard to know if it is due to the OS or the disk itself. I?ve used Linux since the days before it had a graphical interface and you installed it from a pile of floppy disks. I kept using Windows as I needed it for work and a few other things but rarely touch it now.

For ?casual? computer users it can be a bit daunting - not because it is a poor OS but due to driver support. Plus, there used to be problems with applications. While there were excellent packages for most things, companies, schools etc used MS etc. Now Libre Office has mastered the compatibility issues, most things can be done in that. I?ve not used MS since retiring.

That said, even mainstream OSes can have driver issues. Senior Management has a new Mac M1. The OS it runs (I forget the version) doesn?t support our laser printer so that will need replacing.

Reply to
Brian

I think its very much a question of where you exercise your skills. MS simply doesn't exist in the real server market, or in mini computers and mainframes or in the 'internet of things' like routers and mobile phones.

It only exist in two places, the corporate desk/laptop and the uber dumb consumer desk/laptop.

(uber uber dumb consumers buy Apple).

You are complaining that Lux doesn't have all these rather pointless chrome-and-tailfin additions. Well that because in general the people who code for linux are not very interested in them.

If I try and fire up bluetooth in this machine it says 'bluetooth hardware not found' because there isn't any.,

Neither would wifi hardware be found because there isn't any, there wouldn't be a camera and microphone and speakers if I hadn't bought them and added them

They all work fine with linux.

MS has to keep on implementing 'creeping featurism' in order to obsolete the last version of hardware and software, because MS is designed to sell, but not necessarily to work.

Linux is not sold, and companies who contribute millions to its development, like IBM and Fujitsu design it therefore just to work.

In general code that is written by some guy who wanted it to do something particular, is placed in the public domain, fiddled till it works properly and then left alone

In the last 15 years plugging in my nikon digital camera moved from something I spent three days trying to get to work writing my own UDEV scripts, to something that JustWorks?.

There is no fancy user interface., It just becomes another file system As does my android phone, No development has taken place in 8 years because it works. So stop complaining Linux isn't like windows. That is the whole point. It is a professional and industrial operating system that happens to be also available for laptops and desktops.

But it is under no compulsion to duplicate windows 'feetchas'. No one is selling it, nor needs to, and the last thing it needs is dumb f*ck windows users cluttering it up.

Some people are just to stupid to install Linux, so they will stick with preinstalled Windows or OSX

That's fine by me. If you want to use linux I will help, if you dont, f*ck off and talk to someone else :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, I have. To be fair any OS would probably have trashed it..

This happened to be SCO unix on our 386 office main server. we never had funds enough so it had no UPS. But it had two very large disks and was set to reboot on power loss.

When the lights in the office flickered and came back on, only the heavily loaded server went down - but of course started rebooting, and was well into fscking its file system and rewriting all the directory and inode entries when the power went out and stayed out, and that server main disk never came back up.

Fortunately nearly all the company data was on disk 2, which survived. Disk 1 was totalled. I had source code on that...that is forever gone

Mostly kit will survive a power outage. Linux file systems are in the main better than MS ones at surviving a power crash . But if your OS is busy updating a disk when the power goes, you are probably fscked...no matter what OS it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Odd. never had issues with microphones , apart from making them the default audio input device in the sound control panel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK smartarse. Fix Jethro's problem 'cos you obviously ain't a dumb f*ck (or at least you think that).

Reply to
Richard

So you get a RAID controller with a battery onboard for the cache RAM, so it can remember (for several days) what writes it has to finish when power comes back, then, at least the filesystem does have all the journaling data that it wrote.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Golly, a UPS would have been cheaper back then. Has to be nearly 30 years ago...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The archaeology if the issue goes a bit like this ...

2015(ish) some bright sparks in the Pulseaudio project decide that the bidirectionality needed for the Bluetooth Headset Protocol/Hands Free Protocol (HSP/HFP) was far too much hard work for the crappy audio quality they delivered. Presumably these whizz kids were born after the idea of 3Khz bandwidth for vox calls on the PSTN was commonplace.

Thus pumped up with a round of high-fives about being bleeding edge, they rip any and all support for HSP/HFP out of Pulseaudio. Linux desktop being a niche market, nobody notices or cares for years. On the very odd occasion someone does dare to ask, they are told "it all just works" although the specifics are always lacking.

It's only the emergence of the Pipewire project that has woken the Pulseaudio crowd up and given us a promised that HSP/HFP will be back in the next version.

Of course the lack of HFP also means you can't control Jitsi via a bluetooth earbud as well. Whereas the 3cx windows app I recently used "just worked" with the bluetooth Yealink device we used in the office.

Last time I had an issue like this I taught myself the Polkit infrastructure from scratch.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well that depends on the distro actually.

Mint is very much in the game of ' better windows that just works' - the documentation alone is man years of work.

Its just that some areas have lagged. Poettering at red hat had complete ownership of pulseaudio, but took no responsibility. Red hat are going round with plastic bags and a poop scoop

And anyone can take ownership, post up changes to the source code and get them incorporated.

So you are wrong that no one is in charge. Lost of people are, but some areas are just not so important.

Not linux specifically, but I reported a firefox bug about a year ago, it was deemed not important to spend time on, but was accepted as valid. Now ,more people have reported it and its getting more priority and may well be fixed in the next few releases.

That's how it works in open source.

In closed source they deny the problem exists.

I remember step tracing through the MSDOS code to accept a key press and put it on the screen. tens of thousands of instructions doing lord knows what. utter mess. The wheel was reinvented twenty times by people who wanted it to work a bit different.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So how do I put an application icon in the taskbar? On the Mac O just drop it there. And even on Windows there's a right-mouse I can do to "pin this to the taskbar". How do I do this on Mint?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Where is the icon now?

Mostly in MATE you left click on it , drag and drop That clones the file in the taskbar definition area

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Right-click > Add to panel

Reply to