LInux - pah humbug.

smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600T CPU @ 2.70GHz (family: 0x6, model: 0x5e, stepping: 0x3)

My dick is bigger than your dick :-)

But yours is faster

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, that string I put there, is an attempt to out-guess what he's got. I think his current CPU is a 4460. Which in the year 2021 is still useful.

That's not the string for my machine.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I guess the launcher must be a CLI hack.

Reply to
Tim Streater

CPU(s): 8 On-line CPU(s) list: 0-7 Vendor ID: GenuineIntel Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v3 @ 3.40GHz CPU family: 6 Model: 60 Thread(s) per core: 2 Core(s) per socket: 4 Socket(s): 1 Stepping: 3 CPU max MHz: 3800.0000 CPU min MHz: 800.0000 BogoMIPS: 6784.35

Mine's hotter than yours!

Andy Burns

You probably need to be less frenetic. Hope it didn't blister your hand.

Reply to
Richard

Me, and Brian Gaff (but not for the same reason) !

Why not just buy one 43 inch monitor from someone like Dell and have whatever windows you need ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

£815 for a dell is getting a bit steep, might be able to twist my own arm for an LG at £600

I was considering changing 27" to 32", 43" might be a bit much at arms length? It would *just* fit the corner desk at the same viewing distance ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Okay okay but what is a decent upgrade while not consuming a lot of power when booted up but just browsing.

I don't do much processor power hungry things, like video editing.

Or shall I just stick and put the SSD into this I5 desktop.

I'd better get on with it as some sites won't display and as the OS is not supported I doubt I can update browsers, aslo Google Drive won't work.

Reply to
AJH

There was a Philips 43 inch IPS 4K job on the Novatech website for just over £500 before the pandemic, but I can't see that model now.

Reply to
Andrew

I trundled by Currys on the way home, they have a mountain of 43" LG TVs clogging the aisles, in three indistinguishable models, but no 43" monitor in sight, of course the TVs are not on display in a way to easily judge them purely as monitors (is there really much difference in the actual panels nowadays? don't LG make most of them anyway?)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Beware of using a TV as a monitor. there can be a delay of up to 1/2 second on the HDMI video and sound. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No I won't try that, the TVs don't have displayport that my KVM has, bit annoying that the TVs are £200 cheaper though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The I5-4460 is generally faster (except for some multi-core benchmarks) than the FX-8370 that I am using. However with sufficient memory and an SSD, the FX-8370 is still a fast and perfectly capable CPU and will probably continue to be so for some years.

Reply to
Steve Walker

My 22 inch Samsung smart TV works just fine as a monitor.

Reply to
Andrew

Depends if you have some swanky reality engine running? Try Football mode.

FWIW, work uses a 43" LG 42UB820B (LED, 4K, IPS, YCbCr 4:2:0) at 4K 30Hz resolution from a HP Elitebook G5 laptop that has two other screens also running.

No noticeable delays on any of them.

Read (and almost believed) a huge amount of guff about chroma subsampling.

TV is the bottom of the spec for that, and the image and fonts are just as sharp as a Dell UltraSharp LCD monitor that sits alongside it.

This TV was purchased in Jan 2015 for £400 from Sainsbury's. This was when 4K was an infant new thing, no visible means of consumers ever getting 4K cheaply streamed into their homes, and so Sainsbury presumably lopped £250 off the price to clear them.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

When we got our TV in 2013, it was from a range that were showing off 4K. Presumably from a memory stick.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Thanks I'll start off with sticking the ssd in this then, I may be away a little while

Reply to
AJH

That seems to work but I see upgrading thunderbird means I cannot remove the reply to sender in the message toolbar. A common complaint it seems.

Reply to
ajh

Which toolbar? The main program one, or the message pane one?

The former is customisable out of the box, for the latter needs an add-on

Andy Burns

Thanks I will check that out

Reply to
ajh