LInux - pah humbug.

They removed HSP/HFP from pulse around 5 years ago. It's not that the earbuds don't work at all - the stereo is perfect. It's that the mic can't be used.

They aren't Apple and they work flawlessly under Windows. Which is my gold standard for "is it the hardware, or is it the penguin"

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You need to define "works". "Works" as in I can hear stereo (which I can) or "Works" as in I can use the headset to make calls as *the microphone works*(

I'm on Pulseaudio 13.99 (15 is out). Which doesn't support HFP/HSP needed to work the microphone.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Having used MS Teams daily for the past 9 months on a constellation of Windows machines I have found the sound quality remarkably good.

In theory, yes. Here the "fix" is to throw the entire audio subsystem provided with Mint (Pulseaudio) in the bin, and move to a new project "Pipewire" which claims to support HFP/HSP over bluetooth. Doubtless to drop support for that when it's "too hard".

MS software maintenance is no worse than Linux.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

One notes that Lennart Poettring, of systemd fame, wrote pulse audio. Like systemd, it is full of bugs left for other people to fix.

MS software is worse/ MS only has dominance on the shrinking population of desktop workstations and laptops. Everyone else went linux or BSD years ago..

Tablets, phones, routers, servers - all run some *nix derivative or other.

Obviously if you want to keep up with creeping featurism, MS will provide the latest toys.

But Linux gets there in the end.

Lots of peripherals that you needed drivers for in MS, are now built in, in Linux.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except bluetooth headsets.

And miracast.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Seems your message isn't getting through, bloody linux. ;)

Reply to
Richard

Damn weird propriety complicated locked-in something ...

... is not working out of the box.

Needs studying / hacking / geek enjoyment.

Plenty of resources for that (which are aimed at code people), but the easy consumer route is elsewhere with materials that the manufacturers have supplied AND Windows.

So be it. Windows instead, and why not? :)

Refer to the last spoken line of Magnum Force, and enjoy ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

It all works and I have done many calls using jitsi.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I do, which is how I've made it thus far. I try every now and then to get the irritations fixed, but so far have not found a solution. I won't give up as nothing is impossible.

Reply to
Richard

For you, it all works. Perhaps you have the answers for the OP?

Reply to
Richard

They are relatively modern

As I said, if you want to be an early adopter of new crap, stick with Microsoft, virus checkers, crashing blue screens of death and irregular updates that stop the computer booting and having to download and install drivers for every bit of hardware.

Or wait a few years until either the new hardware is obsolete or Linux has made a decent job of writing better drivers for it than came with the hardware.

I am not sure why I would need a bluetooth headset when a cord would reach to this PC.

And its loudspeakers work perfectly well.

Or how Miracast can possibly work when this PC doesn't even have wifi. Just gigabit Ethernet

I guess you are into consumer toys. I just want a boring stable PC on my desktop.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Miracast is a monolithic driver combining GPU frame buffer and Wifi. The claim being that it had to be that way to achieve some sort of latency target. Whether it's true or not, there's perhaps a bit of lock-in involved, as I doubt Miracast works with "everything". It might work on a laptop with Intel graphics and an Intel Wifi module (as a transmitter). It would be a stretch on Windows, to say your NVidia video card and an Edimax 802.11N Wifi could be used for Miracast. But maybe they've actually done that. I don't have the kit to check. You can apparently cast from one PC to another PC, but then I'd need Wifi modules on my desktops which they don't have.

*******

Bluetooth has progressed in similar ways on both platforms. Two steps forward, one step back.

Linux had BlueZ stack, and here is a snippet selected at random.

*******
These are the list of Intel Bluetooth devices and its information.

Some of devices were tested the following test cases: Firmware loading after cold boot Firmware loading after restart Device discovery Connection to LE Mouse A2DP HFP <=== Update to new firmware if available

All Intel firmware can be found from linux-firmware git repo.

*******

I think it may have had my Bluetooth speaker confused with a headset, as the speaker may have announced it supported HFP, when it doesn't have a microphone. This might be due to the silicon being multi-purpose and the firmware not being customized enough to pin it off and just use A2DP alone.

A quick check with Bluetooth Manager (I've only had this OS installed for a couple days), shows it can at least see the speaker, it recognizes one or more profiles.

[Picture]

But some Linux distros could choose to ignore Bluez tools and not provide access, and instead provide some other path to audio on Bluetooth, in which case things could break.

Windows 10, they seemed to rewrite major portions of Bluetooth, complete with breakage. It's hardly like anyone gives a rats ass about what the customers see. Just developers beavering away, two steps forward, a step back, a new stack, a new interface, same old debug debug debug for customers. You can't fix a concept which is broken (all that pairing stuff and so on, dialog box after dialog box). You can put all the fresh coats of paint over top of the old paint, but it all looks the same in the end. If you hide the details of the process, then of course stuff breaks and you can't get it working.

So sure, you can instantly see bits and pieces of it, the barest of profiles supported, but that doesn't mean it's going to work. Again, my speaker only claims to be HFP, but does not have the hardware to do hands-free testing (no microphone).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

God - I'd forgotten the struggle I had to get Jitsi working.

There's no support in Pulseaudio for HSP/HFP over bluetooth. Are you describing a wired headset ?

(Incidentally, now I've got some spanking new earpads for my wired headset, that will be my vidoecall device of choice.)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Hours of googling gave me the "answer" to install Pipedream.

Which I did.

That reports correctly the the audio sink is in place, and the sound settings does now see the microphone as an input. However selecting it doesn't pickup any sounds (although I have my suspicion that the system isn't really using the HFP/HSP profile).

This is always the point where asking for help from "the community" produces a slew of "it must be your hardware" replies, which (conveniently) ignore the fact I *always* test on a dual boot to Windows to be sure.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

bollocks they are. I was using BT HSP/HFP in Windows XP.

And Miracast was built into my TV (bought in 2013).

As stated to PP, now I have some snug non-tatty earpads for my Creative HS720, that's the future.

Quite the reverse. I want my setup to be rock solid and able to jump into a Teams, Zoom or Skype call at a moments notice. Something I have got used to these past months on Windows.

Penguinistas never fear. I did leave behind a FOSS asset management system running on a virtual Debian 11 machine that will be fun for the MS- obsessed team to maintain :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Maybe there is for *BSD

If I knew where my HD420-SLs were, I'd treat them to some new foam pads

Reply to
Andy Burns

Maybe he's not a hermit?

Reply to
Richard

Sounds like Linux. Period.

Reply to
Andrew

The only time I ever got one of those is when I had Linux installed as well as NT and win98, and linux trashed the disk.

Reply to
Andrew

I did a writeup on it, which might be of use even though it's for FreeBSD.

No - Bluetooth. It just worked.

Bob Eager