Here's another little mess that Prescott and the EU have cooked up

Comprehension is not one of your strong points IMM, is it ?... Who knows what will happen in Switzerland in the next 400 years or so, there might only be one (main) language - just as here in Britain. The point is, the UK *still* has more than one language and have been unified for a long time.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

To whom are you talking to and what points were they ?!...

:::Jerry::::

... and? You said "Switzerland has 4 languages that are widely spoken and will be the only language in the defined areas.". That is plain wrong as you have partially admitted now by retreating to three.

Reply to
usenet

But that will be the case.

Reply to
IMM

Read back on the thread and get the context.

Reply to
IMM

That's rich coming from you !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I am a very rich person.

Reply to
IMM

You are prattling crap. Manx is still spoken....by a handful of people. Does that count? The main language and all speak it, is English. Any other language is still around and recognised for cultural reasons only. Minority languages are spoken by so few they are not worth noting. Switzerland is very, very different to the UK, where whole areas have very different languages with no dominating language in the country....and yet the country is very stable indeed. Belgium is another example of two languages and a stable country. Duh.

Reply to
IMM

The 'context' is the first line in what I've left here, you said "Don't be silly. Switzerland has 4 languages that are widely spoken and will be the only language in the defined areas." This is simply not true, the 'context' makes no difference whatsoever, it's wrong.

Have I explained that clearly enough - what you said was incorrect! :-)

You know, wrong, as in not true.

Reply to
usenet

Er, yes, and..... ?

Is it just that you can't cope with not saying the last thing in a thread?

Reply to
usenet

It isn 't.

Reply to
IMM

It was a Q. Again: But that will be the case?

Reply to
IMM

Much the same as 400 or more years ago in what became the UK then, as I said, who knows what will happen language wise in Switzerland in the future. But yes, Manx is still spoken widely, so is Welsh - heck, there is even a welsh language TV station-, and lets not forget Gallic (sp?). Once again, IMM, you should take you own advice and read the context, if anything I was agreeing with you about stable countries using more than one common language but no, you have to jump both feet into your quick dry concrete and then complain when you get stuck !..

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Hmm. Why do the words 'pan' and 'kettle' come to mind?

No need to answer that, I could have got you both out of a situation :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Try proof reading a bit better then, there certainly wasn't a ? when you first wrote it.

(and regarding that other thread in this hierarchy, I'm not going to descend into a 'yes it is, no it isn't' silliness.)

Reply to
usenet

In message , IMM writes

And 26 cantons. Switzerland is a federation, not a country, with the cantons jealously guarding their autonomy, and making decisions by democratic means. The EU does not propose to become a federation and has little appetite for democracy.

Reply to
Joe

That'll be why it has a parliament with MPs from all the member countries, then?

Or perhaps your definition of democracy is any decision you don't happen to agree with?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:01:09 -0000, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

Surely you mean 'pot' and 'kettle'? Unless you meant 'pan' and 'fire' but that makes no sense at all.

Reply to
Lurch

You have faith in your MEP? AFAICS the EU civil service is like ours 40 years ago: job for life and totally unaccountable. As for the "parliament"

- hmmph.

The Swiss have a far better idea of democracy than either teh UK or teh EU.. Citizens bills can be brought in for reading with a certain number of signatories. Referenda on almost anything can be forced in a similar way.

Then again, the Swiss pride themselves on taking a personal interest in current affairs and actually bothering to vote. So we're a bit doomed on theat front because a large proportion of the British population no longer care/have no faith/etc.

My 2ps worth...

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S

In message , IMM writes

Belgium - 2 India - dozens Indonesia - 26 UK - 2+ Canada - 2

etc, etc

Reply to
raden