Here's another little mess that Prescott and the EU have cooked up

I'm not commenting on EU membership especially - it's a curate's egg as far as I'm concerned, but countries such as Norway and Switzerland in the EEA have virtually equivalent trading relationships with EU member states as though they were inside the EU.

Reply to
Andy Hall

From what I've seen, many have a scale of charges, depending upon the value of the work that is being carried out.

DIY work value being estimated at the full professional whack for the job, of course....

Reply to
RichardS

If you read the Maastricht Treaty;- you'll find that The High Contracting Parties (HM Queen) recognising the desires of her citizens for 'an ever closer union' authorised her Ministers - Foreign Secretary and Prime Minister- to sign the Treaty of Maastricht creating the 'European Union'. Until that signature it was merely a Economic Community. The Treaty of Maastricht made _us_ first a citizen of the EU with rights and privileges with (in our case ) the adjectival adjunct of 'Citizens of the UK of GB +NI, Citizens of the EU may purchase property in any of the States of the EU - except for Germans who aren't allowed (by opt-out) to buy Beach-Huts in Denmark - You think I'm joking don't you? There is theoretical freedom of movement for EU citizens between its countries (btw the thinking 'country' is seriously ungood and indicative of a need for reprogramming^W newpeak education - 'Brussels' prefer the usage of 'Regions' just like that nice SoS for DETR ^W; SoS for E&R ^W; DPM Mr Prescott advocates)

I'm somewhat surprised, Jerry; that you seem ignorant (less harshly unaware) of this position.

Have you ever read the Treaty of Maastricht?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Isn't that a bit like saying you'll have no trouble with burglars if you just hand them the keys?

Reply to
Joe

Remind me never to enter into a discussion with someone who is capable of such misrepresentation (not to mention presumption)

Reply to
Paper2002AD

How was anything I said different (except for detail) from what you said, it was Dave who seemed unsure as to what the situation is - with friends and family either owning property and / or living and working in EU member states, countries or regions (take your pick...) out side the UK I'm hardly not going to know.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Back to your 1960's, pre-fab, tower block....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , Paper2002AD writes

You have to get used to DIMM's unparalleled powers of argument

Reply to
raden

In message , Tim writes

Since when has experience come into it ?

It's a matter of being a member of the correct body, i.e. having paid your dues

Reply to
raden

I wasn't trying to be insulting, as it happens I'm a C.Eng. as well, I'm a Eur Ing even. I was just pointing out that, as far as I know, that bestows no right whatsoever to sign electrical test certificates with any more authority than any (non engineer) member of the public.

Reply to
usenet

... and the alternative to self certification is what?

As I understand it at present *anyone* can sign an inspection certificate, there's no specific qualification required.

Reply to
usenet

[if this is here twice, sorry, my keyboard ran amuck]

I wasn't trying to be insulting, as it happens I'm a C Eng too (and Eur Ing), it's just that, as far as I understand it, being a 'proper' engineer gives one no extra right to sign inspection certificates at all.

Reply to
usenet

Oh NO! Not another dumbo.

Reply to
IMM

No.

Reply to
IMM

In Kent?

Reply to
IMM

Yep..

Reply to
IMM

Now you are just being very silly... :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Sorry - I misunderstood you.

BTW - I didn't mean to insinuate that you were insulting him, only that the law-to-be was, except that I misread the post :/

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

BTW...I found the really good thing about being a Eur Ing was..screwing up the column organisation on my employer's staff lists!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Considering we are a net debtor to Europe, that's a bit rich...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)