Here's another little mess that Prescott and the EU have cooked up

Reply to
fred

Total garbage.

Reply to
IMM

Bit of a barren agrument that, without giving any reasons for the comment!

Reply to
Paper2002AD

I think you'll find this is news to most people...

I was talking to the senior BCO at a local district council the other day (about drywalls and fire regs) but I mentioned Part P while I had the chance.

The general impression I got was the councils don't know all the details yet.

There was some talk of his council possibly employing a resident electrical inspector who would certify for a fee, but they wanted to wait to see how it panned out.

He was pretty clear that a BC notice would need to be submitted and a certification done after the event, but the finer points had not been clarified. I asked specifically about batching small works and getting one certification at the end. He didn't give a clear answer (due to lack of details at his end).

As far as massive fines, I doubt it. Most councils would probably be impressed if anyone doing DIY bothered to get anything certified after the event (my own viewpoint, nothing to do with the BCO's opinion).

I predict that they will underwhelmed when 90% of the DIYers don't bother, not least because a lot of people have never heard of Part P.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I'm OK anyway either way - can get my Dad to sign off on such works, what with him being a CEng MIEE, for the cost of hiring the correct test gear :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

It was total garbage.

Reply to
IMM

No it wasn't, look a Passport and you will see, it is a EU passport. We are citizens of the EU, just as someone living in California is a USA citizen, they don't carry a 'Californian' passport.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

being a

I don't think he has any more (or less) 'right' to sign a certificate than anyone else has.

As I understand it Part P will require either an NICEIC or the other approved group member to do the certificate.

Reply to
usenet

The BCO suggested that that would be sufficient. Proof will be in when I try it on for real...

I think that my father would be insulted given he has been on various panels drafting parts of the regs in the first place, and is quite capable of running rings around *some* (I'm not insulting *all* memmbers, but there are going to be a few who are bare minimum grade) NICEIC members.

I'll have to examine the test forms in the IEE Regs again, but I don't remmeber any stipulation of membership of the NICEIC being required.

Which doesn't mean that you aren't technically correct, with that being an additional requirement of Part P.

But then again, with a form signed off by a CEng (electrical) do you really think in practise that a council will take exception?

This was certainly the view of a friend of mine (currently practising engineer) with similar credentials. I suppose one could argue he's not fit to sign off LV works, his job only involves running the grid...

This gets murkier and murkier (or dafter and dafter?)...

Timbo

Reply to
Tim

So as a 'citizen' of the EU, you can move freely between its countries as you can between states in the US?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What else do you expect from OGL's Deputy?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think this is only required for self certification. What BCO's may accept or how (if at all) they will test is not defined.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Definately the impression I got - there's much that seems undefined, which is worrying(?) for something that's coming into legal force in January.

Timbo

Reply to
Tim

"Tim" wrote | This was certainly the view of a friend of mine (currently practising | engineer) with similar credentials. I suppose one could argue he's not | fit to sign off LV works, his job only involves running the grid...

As long as he realises that bare wires on insulators and placing out of reach aren't permitted in kitchens and bathrooms :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Under EU laws, yes, although members governments often try and stop people doing so but if push came to a big enough shove they wouldn't be able to stop people moving from one EU (full) member state and another.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Why dont we then?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

ROFL!

But at 132kV, he'd only need to run a bit of cheesewire to the electric shower, none of that bulky 10mm2 stuff ;=D

Timbo

Reply to
Tim

I guess that might be part of the sellers pack that Labour are so keen on introducing:

stealth tax on selling your home.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Why should we want to?

Presumably you're a war lover? We've not been at war with Europe for nearly 60 years now - some kind of record. I'd guess this doesn't suit some, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What, and then become the 5? state in the USA !....

Sorry, but those who think this country would have people knocking on the door and wanting to do trade with us if we were outside a large trading block are living in cloud cuckoo land IMO, most of the manufacturing base this country does have left is due to our links with the EU and the fact that they can assemble here and ship to mainland Europe without extra tax having to be paid, for example if we were outside the EU any shipment across the channel or to Ireland would incur import duty from goods entering the 'EU' from outside.

There is a lot more to the EU than Brussels trying top tell us to rename our chocolate, how we should wire our houses or even what laws can be used against suspect criminals etc.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Why would you be surprised? The main reason is to get more of the black economy into the tax system.

Reply to
Andy Hall