Sketchup mess-up

I stated how I model in 3D in sketchup and then manually create 2D drawings in AutoCAD. If I were in a true production environment I would have a checker review my 2D drawings or even better dump dxf to AutoCAD frpom a Pro version os SU. My short cuts bit me in the ass last night.

I have 12 little pine cabinet kits all boxed up and ready to sell. This is the first run of this newly detailed design that I've built before "one-off" but just now put into production with official drawings.

I was building one sample to use for pictures and to test the design, only to find one part 7" wide vs the 6 1/2" it must be. I have to unbox all 12 now and replace the part, and maybe some others, I haven't yet gone through and checked the rest of the design to see what else is wrong. I was so disgusted I just dropped the nail gun, capped the glue, went inside and had a beer.

Live and (never seem) to learn.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Hey, be thankful it wasn't 6 1/2" and needed to be 7", your mistake can be fixed without stretching the board.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Yeah, but what kind of beer?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well... It has some milling, specifically pocket screw holes that mess up that idea. However, I can easily pull these pieces from my scrap pile. I also have several hundred board feet of Pine left from my last big haul.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I happened to have a few cold bottles of Pacifico on hand which remind me of wayward days spent in Mexico.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I am confused as to how this is a Sketchup mess-up.

Reply to
Leon

You're not the only one who get's bit when transferring parts and their dimensions from one environment to the another.

I don't have a checker either, so routinely double, triple, and quadruple check my own work, but still have been known to make the same mistake I made the first time.

I live in fear of batch cutting dozens of the same parts for a run of cabinets, only to find them on the too small side.

Reply to
Swingman

Hahaha. I'm sure glad I've never done anything stupid like that... in the last week, er... Never mind.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You are sematically correct. My point... the way I am using Sketchup is not optimal. Perhaps if I paid for the pro version I could have a better workflow and dump dxf directly to CAD, or maybe I should just learn to detail my parts in Sketchup.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Let me make a suggestion ... and not knowing whether the Pro trial version is crippled in this regard ... before springing for the the Pro version, and providing you have a test file that you would like to try out, you could email same to me and I could export it in the Pro version and send the results back to you see if it indeed serves your purposes when imported back to CAD.

On that same note, I have been using Layout for full blown construction drawings and still find myself wishing on occasion that I was using a 2D program for that particular function.

Don't get me wrong, and I'm certainly not an expert Layout user, and for the projects I have done in this manner it has worked out amazingly well, but I firmly believe that any software that tries to be all things to all tasks is going to disappoint in some regard sooner or later.

Email is in the sig block if you want to catch me on the back channel.

Reply to
Swingman

Hope it's better than Corona. :-) I'll enjoy the occasional DosXX Amber on draft at the local taqueria, but that's about as light as I can go in color.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I firmly believe that any software that tries to be all things

I agree and is one of the reasons I manage 26 different (CAD like) software products all targeting different parts of the same process for simialr users.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Finally! Someone else who thinks Corona is over rated horse piss. The dark DosXX is a nice beer.

Reply to
dadiOH

Sheeooot, I've been calling Corona "piss water" ever since I first tried it what, 20 years ago? Either variety of Dos Equis is WAY better. I quite like the amber.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Gotcha!

Detailing in Sketchup for me is easier than in 2D with AutoCAD LT. I used that program for 10+ years and now Sketchup gets all of my drawings.

Something to consider, you can do 2D in Sketchup. There is a free plug-in for Sketchup called Cut List 4.0 that will export a data file with all the dimensions and pieces needed. I use that plug-in to import data into Cut List Plus for material optimization.

Reply to
Leon

ALL beer is overrated horse piss. I can't believe I drank that stinky suff. Coors almost went belly-up the day I sobered up. (Coors, Pepsi, and Bacardi)

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

------------------------------- WHAT???

You mean you don't like Mexican Budweiser?

For shame.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Tucking that phrase away in the brain for future use. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

When I walk in somewhere and somebody puts a beer in my hands, I will drink it as I am not _that_ fussy. However, I only buy:

also has the distinction of making the only drinkable non- alcoholic beer and Grolsch makes a 2.5% that is absolutely drinkable.

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm the same way... with a few exceptions. :-)

I was out west for a couple weeks and ran across this stuff on tap...

It's the best beer I've had and ranks above my previous favorite, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

Reply to
-MIKE-