British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

Actually it end up with, "And you try and tell the young people of today that... they won't believe you" - and the rest agreeing.

Reply to
Max Demian

I bought my first house (flat) in Chelmsford in 1983, 17,000 IIRC

I had just started to take contract work at 400 pound per week, but my previous permanent salary had been 8K IIRC

tim

Reply to
tim...

they still have rent to pay or do they sleep under a bridge?

tim

Reply to
tim...

I think that I might possibly have have mentioned that once or twice in some of my posts.

Reply to
ARW

Why is the lack of a TV license important?

You have a computer and the show was on CH4.

for the rights to watch it

and

to watch it

Reply to
ARW

I didn't know that at the time I typed that, but now I do :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

And now Labour and Co call it "The Bedroom Tax" - the state subsidises their houses that are too big for them, and they don't like the idea of either moving to a more suitable house (still subsidised of course), or pay a "fine" for keeping it.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I feel very sorry for anyone who genuinely thinks unemployment benefit a fortune. Didn't realise there were so many poor posting here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If they get means tested unemployment benefit they'll get housing benefit and council tax benefit.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It isn't, but many of those who work are as well off as a family on benefits.

I guess a consequence of means testing.

The only difference is you go from time rich, cash poor on benefits to time poor as well as cash poor whilst working.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I didn't mean the last lines. I meant the last claim made in the sketch.

Reply to
pamela

I'll try again -> it depends on your circumstances. How is that so hard to understand?

Reply to
Yellow

a very shortsighted Union ! still lots of them about

Mark

You mean something like a shop steward who is also an employee of the company? Union leader usually means someone employed by the union.

Very principled management that try to bribe one employee to the detriment of the others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Very likely on benefits after their career ended - like in so many mining towns, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite so.

Pensions should be generous.

Unemployment benefit ought not to be.

Reply to
JNugent

£29,000 (gross equivalent)?

That's destitution, is it?

Reply to
JNugent

That's a good way of looking at.

Reply to
Yellow

My first house cost £400 in 1970. I sold my last one for £400,000. (Downsized) Should've bought a bigger/better house back in 1970!

Reply to
harry

In message , harry writes

Crikey. Where was that? My first house, 1975, was ?10,250, Bristol. I sold it for a modest profit two years later, and moved to Stoke Poges, where I bought a maisonette for ?12,500. Another two years later (1979), I sold that for ?25,000 which was a handsome profit. Moving to Colchester, that bought me a three bed detached house.

Downsizing is on our minds. Would certainly release some useful capital.

Reply to
Graeme