British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

That's because the people who these jobs are aimed at are on benefits and only allowed to work a limited number of hours a week, so that they can then get thousands in 'working tax credits' as well.

Reply to
Andrew

Or trades union leaders and live in rent-free apartments in the barbican, or in council houses in London and pay £30 a week rent from their £120,000 salaries.

Reply to
Andrew

of course they should

otherwise there's no incentive to get off them

tim

Reply to
tim...

but as you are not "available for work" you won't get benefits

tim

Reply to
tim...

His pension contributions would last about 5 years and then the full cost of his pension will be divied out amongst all the council taxpayers, most of whom will have a pension that is a fraction of his.

Reply to
Andrew

No it doesn't

It is a pretence by HMG that it does.

not if they have savings

tim

Reply to
tim...

most pensioners have set themselves up with additional income as well as the basic pension

for those that haven't there are benefits which will top it up

tim

Reply to
tim...

the people who you see on various TV documentaries living a life on benefits (because they can)

tim

Reply to
tim...

No it isn't. Getting rid of someone who really is useless is almost impossible. The odds are still stacked in favour of the employee.

Reply to
Andrew

only because the un-employed Brits that do turn up are feckless and lazy

tim

Reply to
tim...

Agreed with 2) which is why I told Sky to shove their job up their arse.

Maybe if the world didn't keep stealing money from us in taxes, we wouldn't feel we need to get something back?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I have never seen a house with no heating. The Georgian house I lived in in the 1950s had a fireplace in every room except the bathroom and the kitchen.

Perhaps you meant central heating, which I never had until I was just on

40 years old. It ought to be clear that I cannot agree that it is in any way essential.

No, you don't need any of those things so much that your fellow taxpayers should provide you with the means to get them (and the word "need" is so often misused in any case). They're nice to have, but you have to get them by your own efforts.

I don't know that food is dearer in real terms than it has ever been. What is commonly agreed is that it has fallen - a lot - as a proportion of household income. That must also mean that food now accounts for a smaller proportion of benefit income.

Reply to
JNugent

We got robotics so we wouldn't have to work so hard, why are most people still working 40 hours a week?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Makes you wonder why we bother with civilisation at all. It would be easier to live rough, which some people do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There are houses with baths in bathrooms that have no means of providing hot water, are there?

Even if there were, not many people used to wash clothes in the bath. The kitchen sink was usually regarded as the place for that.

Reply to
JNugent

if you are "in" Mexico then the BBC iPlayer should notice that and not, let you in at all.

OTOH, if you are in the UK you can probably safely watch the BBC on iPlayer without a licence and "no one will catch you". Though that isn't advice you should rely on.

tim

Reply to
tim...

So do I (a bit).

We are free to work if we choose to. Alternatively, if we choose, we don't have to and may be able to get Pension Credit if our income is low enough. But if we don't want to be limited to the Pension Credit rate (plus whatever housing costs and Council Tax help is available), we may be able to surpass that rate of income by working.

Incentive. The forgotten word.

Both categories exist, as you well know.

Reply to
JNugent

Exactly.

Reply to
JNugent

So what level of financial difference is "correct" during unemployment?

Reply to
JNugent

You're lucky

I don't think there's a single launderette in my town and certainly not one within walking distance

OK I checked on Google, and I am right, there isn't one

the nearest one is 7 miles away in the next town which I refer to as Chavsville

FTAOD I am not suggesting that every town with a launderette is excessively chavvy, it just happens that this place is.

The next nearest is 9 miles in the other direction which is the local university town (and everything but chavvy)

tim

Reply to
tim...