British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

Or maybe the pay rates for skilled people is too low? If benefits are really too high this creates a poverty trap if wages are low. However I very much doubt that benefits are 'generous' now, if they ever were.

But you don't need to pay them as much as skilled folk.

Of course not. But does anyone really say this?

Up to a point. But the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' has widened, making it more difficult for many. Accomodation costs now are vastly higher than they were a few decades ago, for example.

Do they think that? (Maybe the ones from obscenely rich families).

Some did.

Holiday in Blackpool -- *Luxury* ;-)

No. Not if you had to work/study a long way from your parents location.

We don't need to ;-)

Reply to
Mark

I got a mortgage in the late 80s adn my salery paid for about 50% of that m oretgage so I took in a flat mate in the spare room. Friends at the time thought I was made spending 50% of my income on a 'flat ' they were spending 25% of their income on renting at that time. These people were low page someone in the CD department at tower records, a nother running a weekend market stall in camden two primamry school teacher s a couple of shop workers doing the till or shelf filling, the highest earni ng was a banker type who worked for a large city bank , she spend a 3 moths on exchange and was in teh twin towers 6 months before the attack. The ban k were in the news at the time as the averge salery was ~800K a year. Altho ugh she said she earnt less than 80k.

I've not know anyone that can buy a house on their own anyone that has has also had to rent out a room.

If he were from the EU he'd get a free house on coming to the UK with kids. I;d lioke to know why this is fair. And he didn't have a job although he stated he could do any job.

Yes so how about all those coming from the EU to make money in the UK they because they can;t afford what they want in their home country surely they should "cut thier cloth to suit thier means"

or change countries.

Maybe the 19 y/o and hos GF should wait until the child is born then go to an EU contry and get a free house to live in and start a car cleaning buine ss.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , whisky-dave writes

Yes, I had a series of flat mates over several years, one I'm still in touch with, although haven't seen him face to face since, em, 1979!

It was a good way to help with the costs and whilst not ideal, certainly got me on the housing ladder.

Reply to
Graeme

It depends on how you are valued. If they value your contribution such the cost of losing you is more than your cost + overhead etc they will accept the change.

Management seem to like brinkmanship, something I detest, but if you're prepared to leave you do have the upper hand.

Reply to
Fredxxx

They are people who never learnt about consequences.

Reply to
harry

They don't get out of bed in the mornings, and in the afternoons they drink value lager and watch Jeremy Kyle.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Define "generous". To me, if you can live on it long term without the need to ever work then it is "generous".

Reply to
Yellow

Quite simply..... These days, you need a UK TV licence to: (a) Watch, record or download ANY live or nearly-live TV programme (even if it is not BBC). (b) Watch, record or download ANY BBC TV programme whatsoever (regardless whether it is live, nearly-live or 'catch-up'). You do NOT need a UK TV licence to: (c) Watch any non-BBC programme that is 'catch-up'.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

?????

The contributory rates are neither here nor there. It isthe means-tested rates whichis where the action is.

A couple with three children get about £319 a week, plus housing costs plus council tax paid, plus free prescriptions (if any) plus free school meals.

Assuming housing costs and council tax to be about £600 a month in total (no great amount these days), it comes to about £458 a week (£23816 a year, which would be limited to £23,000 a year in London).

£23,000 a year net is the equivalent of something in excess of £29,000 a year gross.

What were you saying? A "pittance"?

Reply to
JNugent

You have gone off on an tangent I did not intend and I was simply trying to make the point that for people with no expenses, unemployment benefit is a fair wack. And yes of course if you have kids, you can get a heck of a lot more than just JSA.

Reply to
Yellow

Thanks. I'll try to remember that. The bits of TV I see at various people's houses just tend to annoy me, though. I've completely lost touch with it.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I can't really understand your work.... you had to work in several European countries, which you didn't like, for less money than you should have had and you now say you couldn't work fewer hours as you would have preferred. It's a wonder you stuck with it through all that!

Reply to
pamela

I suspect an employer would take the best candidate on offer.... but not so far as to take on a worker who is so useless or idle that he doesn't earn his keep.

Maybe I should have said "do a better job".

Reply to
pamela

That Monty Python sketch ends up with.....

"I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah'".

Reply to
pamela

only in the sense that there are always going to be people who will stay with a company forever

but the move on after 2 -3 years had already stated in the 80s

it isn't new to today

was he wrong before?

tim

Reply to
tim...

I think we need to tell people who add to their family whilst unemployed get to bring the child up in a hostel if they ask the state to pay for it.

tim

Reply to
tim...

FTAOD that's when broadcast on a BBC channel

you CAN watch BBC "branded" programs via catch up when they are shown on UKTVPlay (you just have to wait an unspecified time for it to arrive there)

tim

Reply to
tim...

It's difficult to know what to say to someone who finds every random TV program that his friends might be watching annoying

I can understand it if they always watch generic soaps and reality shows,. But if watching quality drama or documentaries you've got to have a low tolerance to find that annoying (other than the annoyance of coming in on a story half way through)

tim

Reply to
tim...

well yes

but the point that I was trying to make is that oftentimes that happens because they are overqualified for the particular job - because they come her and find that taking a minimum wage job still makes them better off than their professional job back home

tim

Reply to
tim...

I liked working in Europe

I didn't like the hassle of traveling there frequently.

That's a relative number

the point about the career that I chose, 38 years ago, is that the rates on offer did not keep up with inflation from about half way through my time doing the job

when I stopped work last year, standard rates for my skill set were the same as I was being offered in 1997 - that's in cash terms.

I didn't say that I couldn't live on that money. I just felt that my skills had become "undervalued".

I got to the point where I had enough money available to me (courtesy of

400% rise in house prices) and decided to give up work.

In order to achieve that I cashed out the type of house that you would expected a moderately successful middle agreed professional to live in and now live in a starter home (and no I have no regrets about that. I like my new home).

I have already explained that, with 20 years experience in a sub set of IT aged 40, moving to a different, better paying, subset of IT is next to impossible - Obviously some people get a lucky break and manage it, but most do not.

tim

Reply to
tim...